Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No bottles? Ever?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:20 AM
  • 13 Replies
I posted yesterday about my over supply. Well I've started pumping what was making me uncomfortable.

Well I've had enough I felt daddy could do a bottle feeding. We tried two bottles. One last night and one tonight.

Both feedings went horribly wrong. He spit up half of what he drank before I even managed to burp him.

So what gives? Why is he puking my milk in a bottle but he nurses fine at the breast?
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM
What's the flow of the nipple? Was bottle heals parallel to the floor or was baby laid back with bottle over him? How many ozs per bottle?
Also you don't want to be the one giving bottles ever. Baby needs to associate mom with high supply and breast. Bottle is not the mom and low supply.
mamalynnsmith
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM

He probley nurses slower and eats less then the bottle. He may have drank to much for his little belly. 

BraydensMama163
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM
The nipples are stage 0 I believe. Its the lowest you can go besides premie

I showed dh how to sit him up and keep the nipple full of milk at all times or he could swallow an air bubble

Quoting shortyali: What's the flow of the nipple? Was bottle heals parallel to the floor or was baby laid back with bottle over him? How many ozs per bottle?

Also you don't want to be the one giving bottles ever. Baby needs to associate mom with high supply and breast. Bottle is not the mom and low supply.
BraydensMama163
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:28 AM
This is what I was thinking he drank to fast and probably chugged more than he was use to

Quoting mamalynnsmith:

He probley nurses slower and eats less then the bottle. He may have drank to much for his little belly. 

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM
How much was in the bottle?
kaejordan
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM

It the nipple.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:45 AM

With YDD, we had to burp after every half ounce, though she still used the second cheapest newborn nipples. (I sprung for vents).  She had to be upright for 20 minutes after every feeding, no matter what, or who, she drank it from.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Milk comes too fast from bottles. The sucking mechanism is also totally different. Have you tried reclined and block feeding to manage the oversupply?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
This

Quoting MusherMaggie: Milk comes too fast from bottles. The sucking mechanism is also totally different. Have you tried reclined and block feeding to manage the oversupply?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We've seen this before. Generally botles make baby swallow too much air.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)