Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Extreme puke

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am EBF my 2 month old, and it's going very well. Recently though she has started puking, sometimes once a day, sometimes twice. It's not just a little, it's like Mount Vesuvious erupts, multiple times. Comes out her nose, soaks everything in its wake....... I had no clue she even had so much in her tummy! Is this something I should worry about? I haven't changed my diet or anything, and when my previous baby did this I switched to a gentlease formula. What should I be doing?

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

How long has it been going on? It's not likely to be an oversupply reaction nless you've started eating something new that's boosting supply.

wymama610
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM

A couple weeks now. Sometimes she will go a couple days without, other days it's every day. She was just in her swing while I got breakfast and did it. She hadn't eaten for over 30 min prior so it's not an immediate feed and puke thing. 

wymama610
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I do have a quick let down, so I pull her off and burp often when I can hear her sucking in air. What food should I be avoiding? I usually drink one cup of coffee in the morning, but I've been doing that my whole pregnancy. Otherwise I'm healthy. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Quoting wymama610:

I do have a quick let down, so I pull her off and burp often when I can hear her sucking in air. What food should I be avoiding? I usually drink one cup of coffee in the morning, but I've been doing that my whole pregnancy. Otherwise I'm healthy. 

No foods to avoid. Reclined nursing. You lean back, put baby on top. No across the lap positioning.

wymama610
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM

So kind of slide her down my tummy and latch her upright? I'll try that thanks!!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting wymama610:

No foods to avoid. Reclined nursing. You lean back, put baby on top. No across the lap positioning.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Yes, reclined nursing. Actually, any position where she is not under the breast will help.
wymama610
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, that makes sense. I side lay and nurse at night, and she doesn't have a problem latching, eating, and going back to sleep. No puking. I'll keep her upright during the day and see if that helps.  Thanks so much!

Quoting aehanrahan: Yes, reclined nursing. Actually, any position where she is not under the breast will help.

Corinnesingh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

i really dont want to offer advise , because i am not experienced enough in the bf department.. out of curiosity tho, my ods did the same while he was bf and it wound up to be reflux.. if the reclined position dont work, do you think that is a possibility, or no , because its not after every feeding?

i am sorry to hijack your post wymam610, i am very curious, i come on tere everyday to kinda soak up all the bf info i can.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting wymama610:

CafeMom Tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

The amount of letdown changes throughout the day. I'd want to do at least 24-48 hours of reclined feeding. And even then, I'd be looking at dairy before considering reflux. Reflux is really overdiagnosed.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

i really dont want to offer advise , because i am not experienced enough in the bf department.. out of curiosity tho, my ods did the same while he was bf and it wound up to be reflux.. if the reclined position dont work, do you think that is a possibility, or no , because its not after every feeding?

i am sorry to hijack your post wymam610, i am very curious, i come on tere everyday to kinda soak up all the bf info i can.

Corinnesingh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

thanks!

arjun was having alot of reflux problems.. but they have kinda deminished.. no more arching grunting , choking while hes sleeping.. he was put on prilosec, which helped wonders., but i took him off of it , because he doesnt seem to have any problems, now that he is older.

Quoting gdiamante:

The amount of letdown changes throughout the day. I'd want to do at least 24-48 hours of reclined feeding. And even then, I'd be looking at dairy before considering reflux. Reflux is really overdiagnosed.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN