Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you change how you ate completely when you started BF?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have read different ones say how they quit eating this or that or have changed completely how they ate. I like what I eat now. I understand taking into consideration that something can cause the baby to be extra gasey and have to watch for that and caffiene intake but did you change things completely? Just curious. I have 10 weeks left til my baby girl gets here and I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about BF. 

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM

No, I didn't change how I ate.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Not really. I drank less milk for a while because DH has problems with it and ds was having a lot of gas. That's the only change I made though.
I had already been eating smaller meals more frequently because I eat with the kids. She was getting three meals and two snacks so I didn't have to do anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
In general it is a good idea to try your best to eat a well balanced diet! Also in general your body will put lo first, meaning your body will make excellent milk even if it has to leave you with less for the time being.

There is nothing food wise that is off limits to a Breastfeeding mom unless lo shows an intolerance. Even then there are common culprits, dairy is the most common.

More than likely you will have no issues with continuing your current diet. If you think there might be issues ask here :) there are several IBCLCs in the group that can answer your questions and tons of moms to give advice!

Congrats on your lo!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Nope. I never changed anything. Thankfully, my boys never reacted to anything I ate or drank.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I continued the same changes I made after becoming pregnant (taking prenatal vitamins & limiting caffeine). No other changes.
Mel0dy
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I didnt change anything at all I would have if I need to but nothing seemed to bug DD :) Lucky for me. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I never changed a think I ate or drank. From coffee, to broccoli, to jambalaya or nachos with jalapeƱos or spicy chili. Our country has somehow come up with the notion that breastfeeding moms should have bland diets and generally speaking, that's a myth. Same with bland baby food.
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Nope. I don't really change my diet when pregnant or breastfeeding. I've carried 2 1/2 kids and nursed two sucessfully thus far.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Nope not really. I was already dairy and soy free because I'm allergic, I was also already gluten free because my daughter has issues with gluten. The only thing I eliminated was eggs and I didn't eat much with eggs anyway. Most people though don't have to change thing.
SweetOrangeMama
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM
With my daughter, I couldn't eat anything spicy or with garlic it made her projectile vomit! Other than that she was good. My diet didn't change for my son until he was 6 months & we found out he was allergic to dairy, eggs & red dye. The changes were really drastic for him. I know people who never have to change anything though, so you have a 50/50 shot. Congrats on your baby & good luck you will do great.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)