Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

surgery ct scan etc

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have kidney stones that were diagnosed saturday via ct scan. The pain is mysteriously in strange places and gotten worse. So I went back to dr and now they think its either ruptured cyst or appendicitis. Either way I have a ct scan with contrast tmrw and I had to drink that nasty barium drink. Which is okay to nurse with... but I'm worried about the contrast? ???? Anyone kno about that? Kellymom said some types of contrast might not b ok. And then my next question is, how long do I wait to nurse after anesthesia?

(Ps my sons 19 months old and so he doesn't HAVE to nurse so I can put it off for a couple hours if I absolutely have no. But I'd rather not.)
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
You can nurse as soon as you're awake after the surgery. If the medication was still in your system, you'd be asleep.

Try to find out what the contrast will be. I think most of them are too big to pass through the milk.
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM
This. I had a CT scan when my DD was 4 months old. I was given 3 different time frames to "pump and dump" from 3 different people. Once I looked up the name of the contrast I found out there wasn't a need to do that. Also depending on how long since your last AF be ready to take a pregnancy test there too. Just a warning, lol. I just needed X-rays and because I haven't had an AFsince 2/2011 they wouldn't X-ray me until I had a negative pee test.

Quoting aehanrahan: You can nurse as soon as you're awake after the surgery. If the medication was still in your system, you'd be asleep.

Try to find out what the contrast will be. I think most of them are too big to pass through the milk.
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Is the iodine kind okay to nurse with?

Quoting shortyali: This. I had a CT scan when my DD was 4 months old. I was given 3 different time frames to "pump and dump" from 3 different people. Once I looked up the name of the contrast I found out there wasn't a need to do that. Also depending on how long since your last AF be ready to take a pregnancy test there too. Just a warning, lol. I just needed X-rays and because I haven't had an AFsince 2/2011 they wouldn't X-ray me until I had a negative pee test.

Quoting aehanrahan: You can nurse as soon as you're awake after the surgery. If the medication was still in your system, you'd be asleep.

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I believe so.

Quoting LLbaby143: Is the iodine kind okay to nurse with?

Quoting shortyali: This. I had a CT scan when my DD was 4 months old. I was given 3 different time frames to "pump and dump" from 3 different people. Once I looked up the name of the contrast I found out there wasn't a need to do that. Also depending on how long since your last AF be ready to take a pregnancy test there too. Just a warning, lol. I just needed X-rays and because I haven't had an AFsince 2/2011 they wouldn't X-ray me until I had a negative pee test.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM

My son is 18 months, I just had the same tests yesterday and nursed as soon as I got home. He will be fine. If you are really worried just wait until bed time to nurse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)