Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Transitioning to table food.

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM
  • 17 Replies
My son is 11 months old today. I've started small nibbles of what we eat but I'm so anxious and panicky that he's going to choke that I only give him super small pieces of soft things. He's had the puffs and does the chewing motion. He even tries stealing food off our plates. He shows all of the signs that he's ready but I'm so nervous. I might also add that I have high anxiety about everything and I'm very much a protective cautious mom. I know he's ready and I want him to be able to eat with us and start the weaning process, but I'm just so freaked out about the possibility of him choking. Any advice on what to start with and anything that should worry me??
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TatumsMommy9313
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM
He has also only been exclusively breast fed until recently. With the puffs and other small finger foods like Cheerios.
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Just put hand size pieces in front of him and let him go. As long as they have lost tongue thrust (which it sounds like he has) then it's hard for them to choke if their feeding themselves.
Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM

If you feed him hot dogs, make sure you cut them up in small pieces.  Like another reply said, pieces he can fit in his hand.  If you make him a sandwich, cut it into 4 pieces and let him have it.  Stay away from the obvious...hard candy, things like that.  If your anxiety still gets you, take a cpr class and learn to do the hymlic manuever (or however you spell it).  He'll be fine momma :) 

justone_jen
by Jen on Dec. 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Give him some banana or avocado, if you're concerned. Watch him with that and go from there. (I'd get rid of the puffs, if they're the puffs I'm thinking of, not for choking reasons, they just aren't nutritious.) I think the previous poster's suggestion to take classes is great.

He'll be alright. :)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM
My babies did much better when they were able to bite their own pieces than when I cut things into tiny pieces. The tinier the pieces the more they wanted to shove in their mouths. And only give solids when you're sitting down right there. I know too many people who throw bits of food on a high chair tray to buy them time so they can run up and down the steps doing laundry.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Skip the grain products for another month or so. Everything else is fair game. Shred pieces of meat, offer soft vegetables and fruits. He will be fine!
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Nurse first then place solids on his tray. Slices of avacdado are great because he can hold it.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
This!

Quoting justone_jen: Give him some banana or avocado, if you're concerned. Watch him with that and go from there. (I'd get rid of the puffs, if they're the puffs I'm thinking of, not for choking reasons, they just aren't nutritious.) I think the previous poster's suggestion to take classes is great.

He'll be alright. :)
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I would stick to fruits and veggies. Cooked carrots veggies, avocado, banana, melons, apple and pear with skin :)
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Yep!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Skip the grain products for another month or so. Everything else is fair game. Shred pieces of meat, offer soft vegetables and fruits. He will be fine!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)