Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Much Colostrum?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 40 Replies

I have PCOS and severe IGT. Like.. the faucet is there but there's no plumbing to bring the water to the faucet severe. I've been seeing an IBCLC for a week (seen her a few times) and talked to her on the phone as well.

I'm 39wks with NO changes. NADA.

So- I have a gal donating 250oz tomorrow to have on hand and a gal who will start pumping to donate regularly starting tonight. I have a gal who is leaking a lot of colostrum (she's only 33wks) and wants to know how much an infant typically needs before beginning breastmilk so she can give me some.

I'm not too certain the amount and thought I'd pose the question here while I do some research.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I bet its different for each mom, however i would.make sure that she knows not to pump for you now, it can.cause labor.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Any colostrum you get at all will be a bonus. Don't sweat the amount. As far as "mature" milk, aim for 24 but no more than 30 ounces per 24 hours. Do you have an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so you can supplement at the breast?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Unless she's already feeding or pumping it's not a good idea for her to pump now. It causes the body to produce oxtocin which causes contractions.
Since I'm currently breastfeeding and pregnant I did my research on it and it really isn't safe to start pumping or nursing while you're pregnant after 24 weeks. Before 24 weeks it's safe to start because it gives your body time to become accustomed to it before you become sensitive to the oxytocin, unless you're on pelvic rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I have no idea how much colostrum a newborn gets though, sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Colostrum will be hard to pump but offer about 15ml (0.5oz) for each feeding for the first day or 2. Most studies show that this is about how much a newborn is taking in from the breast at that point. After that, babys stomach can tolerate around 30ml at a time.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I'd go with this.

Quoting stepconfused182: Colostrum will be hard to pump but offer about 15ml (0.5oz) for each feeding for the first day or 2. Most studies show that this is about how much a newborn is taking in from the breast at that point. After that, babys stomach can tolerate around 30ml at a time.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
That was my thought. Their stomach is only like a teaspoon size in the first few days.

Quoting stepconfused182: Colostrum will be hard to pump but offer about 15ml (0.5oz) for each feeding for the first day or 2. Most studies show that this is about how much a newborn is taking in from the breast at that point. After that, babys stomach can tolerate around 30ml at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarcrisp
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

She leaking and collecting in a spoon and putting that in milk storage bags.

It's her fourth child.

Quoting Precious333: I bet its different for each mom, however i would.make sure that she knows not to pump for you now, it can.cause labor.

sugarcrisp
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM

She leaking and collecting in a spoon and putting that in milk storage bags.

It's her fourth child.

Quoting polkaspots: Unless she's already feeding or pumping it's not a good idea for her to pump now. It causes the body to produce oxtocin which causes contractions.
Since I'm currently breastfeeding and pregnant I did my research on it and it really isn't safe to start pumping or nursing while you're pregnant after 24 weeks. Before 24 weeks it's safe to start because it gives your body time to become accustomed to it before you become sensitive to the oxytocin, unless you're on pelvic rest.

sugarcrisp
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll be making my own SNS to use until I decide if it's something I want to stick with, at which point I will invest in a Lact-Aid.

I used one for 6 months with my son and did not like it. Not sure if I'll feel differently this go round. 

I have a lot of mature milk coming my way. And one gal will be providing long term.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Any colostrum you get at all will be a bonus. Don't sweat the amount. As far as "mature" milk, aim for 24 but no more than 30 ounces per 24 hours. Do you have an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so you can supplement at the breast?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)