Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you know?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok so this may be a stupid question.  Ive been breastfeeding for 7 days now.  :)   Samuel had his first Dr appt today and he is loosing weight.  He lost weight in the hospital, then he gained some as my milk came in.  We have been home 4 days and in those 4 days he lost weight.  The dr said to continue doing what Im doing and reweigh Thurs.  If he continues to loose weight I may need to supplement.  I have a lactation nurse coming tomorrow as well so Im hoping to fix whatever issue there is.  So my question is HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN THEY ARE FEEDING OR JUST USING YOU AS A BINKY?  The lactation nurses said he shouldn't feed for more than 30min, after 30min he is just using me as a binky.  I wouldn't mind so much if he stayed on longer but my nipples are soo sore that I just want him to feed.  Right now I just let him stay on as long as he likes because I dont' want him loosing any more weight.  Any advice Id appreciate it.  Thank you all in advance!  

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ignore that lacation nurse. In the early stages, sometimes my newborn would nurse for over an hour!!! It's absolutely normal to nurse for various periods of time, especially as your milk comes in.

It's normal to lose weight the first 10 days after birth, the goal should be to regain birth weight slowly after *lowest* weight loss from birth. Not weight at birth, but the lowest weight after birth.

What you need to do, is nurse nurse nurse nurse and nurse some more.

See how he's doing, and as long as he's not lethargic or acting weird, give him and your body time before they even recommend supplementing. a breastfed baby doesn't always gain weight in a set pattern or right away, someties it can take a few days to get your milk in, and regulated, before baby starts putting noticable weight back on.... and even then some are slower to gain at first than others.

I'd be waiting to see diaper counts, and where you stand with baby in another week or two before freaking out.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM
How often is baby nursing.
How many diapers in 24hrs, how many of those are poop?
What's the full weight history here and which were done on the same scale?
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM
This.

And also even if baby is using use as a binky that is still doing something. It is stimulating your breasts and often "prepping" them for a growth spurt.

First 10-14 days weight loss is normal. There are ways to supplement with your bm no need to use formula. Do you have a pump?

Quoting melindabelcher: How often is baby nursing.

charley31
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
He nurses every 2.5-3hrs
He weighed 8.4 then 7.11, 7.9, 7.10 now 7.7
All were done on the same scale except last weight
He will have 3-4 poops and 6 wet

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Dec. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Soounds perfect, I would discount that last weight though! Expect him to be at birthweight between 2-3 weeks old! :-) Just nurse on demand and remember binkies are mom replacements, not the other way around. It is important for him to suckle for both nutrients AND comfort! :-)

Quoting charley31: He nurses every 2.5-3hrs

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM
You know baby is eating because you can hear swallowing (suck, swallow, suck, swallow). Swallowing sounds kind of like, "ka ka." The way they suck is different when they are eating as opposed to nursing for comfort. It took time for me to be able to tell the difference. I agree that it is just as important to allow baby to comfort nurse as it is to nurse for food. Baby needs that!
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Yes, this. And my son nursed every hour that young. If you are feeling discomfort just switch boobs. The more he's on there the better!!!

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Soounds perfect, I would discount that last weight though! Expect him to be at birthweight between 2-3 weeks old! :-) Just nurse on demand and remember binkies are mom replacements, not the other way around. It is important for him to suckle for both nutrients AND comfort! :-)

jenaree
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You should be able to hear him swallowing. He will have a pattern; suck, swallow, suck, swallow and eventually slow down to suck, suck, swallow as he has to work harder to draw milk. I say let him nurse for comfort as well. It is good for your milk supply. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
This! The last weight doesn't count because it was on a different scale.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Soounds perfect, I would discount that last weight though! Expect him to be at birthweight between 2-3 weeks old! :-) Just nurse on demand and remember binkies are mom replacements, not the other way around. It is important for him to suckle for both nutrients AND comfort! :-)

Zazayam
by Nicki on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Oh, mine nursed for two hours sometimes... There's no need to limit the amount of time nursing.

If you're very sore, make sure that the latch is good and there's no tongue or lip tie or anything. Do you have a nipple cream you like? I always just used my milk, rub a bit in and let it air dry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)