Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk Meltdown!!! Help!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 47 Replies

My LO is 5mo and we have been exclusively breastfeeding since day one. I do work full time and I pump while I'm at work so he has bottles at daycare. Typically he takes 15-18oz at daycare spread across 3 bottles (5-6oz each). Over the last two days my pumping supply has dramatically decreased to where I only got 8oz yesterday even with adding in an extra pumping session after LO went to bed. He isn't fussy when he nurses with me (we nurse whenever we are together-on demand) but I know hes getting less because hes started to wake in the night to eat again after sleeping completely through the night for the last 2 months. I am NOT recovering from an illness, I haven't had any plugged duct/mastitis issues, I haven't started menstruating, I am not under increased stress (though this is making me start to stress!) absolutely nothing has changed in our daily lives or routines. I HAVE begun adding extra pump sessions every 2 hours instead of every 3 and I am going to see a lactation consultant today to have my pump tested and I'm going to pick up some fenugreek, but any words of wisdom here would be really appreciated.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this
He is being grossly overfed while you're working and taking less directly from you, so your supply is decreasing. Breastfed babies don't need more than 2-4 ounces in a bottle. The amount never needs to increase because the milk changes to meet the growing needs of the baby.
Decreasing the bottle amounts and continuing to nurse on demand will help, but I would not expect to see the same pump output that you were getting before.
MinaPR
by Mina on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Using a different pump (I rented a hospital grade one) and adding Domperidone (Motilium) helped me. Also added a "Power Pumping" session to my routine. Drink lots of water and (if you like it) eat lots of oatmeal. Good luck!!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Another thing that can help is to nurse at drop off and pick up so he doesn't need to be fed for a few hours after you drop him off. Also, the bottles should be fed slowly with the baby sitting up and the bottle parallel to the floor so the milk doesn't pour into his mouth. He should be burped after each ounce and switch sides. There is information about this on kellymom.com under childcare.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
He's getting way too much milk while you're gone. His bottles shouldn't be larger than three ounces. Take some time and slowly reduce the size of his bottles and make sure they're given more frequently.
Also, your extra pumping session should be in the morning, when your supply is highest. Not the evening or night time when it's lowest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelchewning
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes good point. I actually use the Medela Pump in style double electric pump which I bought new just before my son's birth. I am also a bit of a health nut so I do drink lots of water and eat very well my day is usually something like this:

5am pump then shower

6am nurse baby then go to daycare

7:30am pump at work

8am Steel cut oatmel with cinnamon

9:30am pump at work

10am yogurt

11:30 pump at work

12pm lean protein with veggies

2pm fruit

2:30pm pump at work

4:30pm pick up baby

5pm Nurse baby

6pm lean protein with veggies

7pm Nurse baby and put to bed

9pm pump

Quoting MinaPR:

Using a different pump (I rented a hospital grade one) and adding Domperidone (Motilium) helped me. Also added a "Power Pumping" session to my routine. Drink lots of water and (if you like it) eat lots of oatmeal. Good luck!!

angelchewning
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

please explain how giving small bottles more frequently would help? It would equal the same amount of milk I am currently giving. All in all he eats about 25-30oz per day which is totally in range. He eats 6 times per day which is also perfectly normal. His weight and growth is spot on. If I didnt have to work I would nurse him on demand round the clock, I know it is the most efficient and a flawless system but unfortunately thats not possible for me and my family.

Quoting polkaspots: He's getting way too much milk while you're gone. His bottles shouldn't be larger than three ounces. Take some time and slowly reduce the size of his bottles and make sure they're given more frequently.
Also, your extra pumping session should be in the morning, when your supply is highest. Not the evening or night time when it's lowest.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I would offer more smaller bottles. So bottles at 2oz 8am, 10am, noon, and 2pm. Then nurse at 430. That should help immensely. Bottles slow and should take 15 min to feed. Another option would be 3oz bottles every 3hrs so bottles at 8am, 11am, and 2pm. That should encourage him to nurse more at home and still not feel overly hungry at daycare.
angelchewning
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I dont usually have time for that but I DO nurse immediately before we leave the house and then pump as soon as I get to work before my day even starts.

Quoting aehanrahan: Another thing that can help is to nurse at drop off and pick up so he doesn't need to be fed for a few hours after you drop him off. Also, the bottles should be fed slowly with the baby sitting up and the bottle parallel to the floor so the milk doesn't pour into his mouth. He should be burped after each ounce and switch sides. There is information about this on kellymom.com under childcare.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this
Breastfed babies typically don't feast. They nurse frequently consuming small quantities most of the time. Your son is taking in huge bottles and drinking more milk than he needs to be while you're gone. So your supply is decreasing because he's nursing less than he should be when you're home.
His stomach is slightly stretched from the large bottles that he's getting. If you take the time to decrease the bottles he can start taking in the appropriate amount of milk while you're at work and nursing more when you're home. Your supply will go back up and he won't need as much milk. Bf babies tend to over drink from bottles because they're full but they still want to suck. When that's allowed to continue they consistently drink more than they need and then they need more to not feel hungry anymore.
I'm sorry if it's not coming out right. I understand myself... Hopefully someone else will explain better.

Quoting angelchewning:

please explain how giving small bottles more frequently would help? It would equal the same amount of milk I am currently giving. All in all he eats about 25-30oz per day which is totally in range. He eats 6 times per day which is also perfectly normal. His weight and growth is spot on. If I didnt have to work I would nurse him on demand round the clock, I know it is the most efficient and a flawless system but unfortunately thats not possible for me and my family.

Quoting polkaspots: He's getting way too much milk while you're gone. His bottles shouldn't be larger than three ounces. Take some time and slowly reduce the size of his bottles and make sure they're given more frequently.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Bottles should be kept to 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours between those two nursing sessions to save your supply.

Quoting angelchewning:

I dont usually have time for that but I DO nurse immediately before we leave the house and then pump as soon as I get to work before my day even starts.

Quoting aehanrahan: Another thing that can help is to nurse at drop off and pick up so he doesn't need to be fed for a few hours after you drop him off. Also, the bottles should be fed slowly with the baby sitting up and the bottle parallel to the floor so the milk doesn't pour into his mouth. He should be burped after each ounce and switch sides. There is information about this on kellymom.com under childcare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN