Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No more nipple confusion: Study says pacifiers may help breast-feeding

Posted by   + Show Post
I say bull!!! I went through nipple confusion with Autumn.

http://m.today.com/moms/no-more-nipple-confusion-study-says-pacifiers-may-help-breast-743227
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
angelchewning
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I agree: BULL! my son was way confused!  like Lizzys_mommy13 it took us two full days to recover! I will say this tho, for me the confusion went away after we really established proper nursing at around 1-2 months. after that he was able to switch from boob to bottle to paci NO PROBLEM.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Aww i see Autumn weaning herself off of her paci. Before she loved it. (After re introduced it later) but in the last week shes rejecting the paci and wanting to confort nurse on me. I have no problem with it but the girls are so sore from excessive suckling snd her suck hurts. I had to relatch her couple times. Im hurting and nips feel raw. I wish she take the paci but i know her comfort nursing on me can increase my supply.

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

My daughter didn't have issues, but she refused to use them until she was a bit older. I had to use one on a plane to keep her ears from popping, and she surprisingly took it. My son, however, took one for a little bit and it did nothing but cause issues. We found one finally that didn't cause problems and it helped him to have that comfort of something in his mouth while he slept. He now rejects them though. Month 11 of nursing! :)

Quoting mama-smurf: Autumn only child i breastfed past 1 week. Because of pacifier she had nipple confusion snd redused to est for almost 8 hours!!!!

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

I went through nipple confusion with my son as well. Took me two days to get him to nurse without issues again. He suckled different when using a paci and it hurt.  

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Felisha, are you going to take her to the other dentist to get her tongue clipped? I can understand why you want her to have the pacifier since it hurts to nurse.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes she accepts my insursncd. Im saving up right now for the gas and my bfs car battery died so he has to get it fixed. Im gonna save like $75 or so for the drive there and back. As soon as i get the money ill make an appt. Autumns also teething and drooling like crazy so that factors in too.

Quoting aehanrahan: Felisha, are you going to take her to the other dentist to get her tongue clipped? I can understand why you want her to have the pacifier since it hurts to nurse.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I'm probably too sensitive about that statement.  But I don't think it is really an accurate one all the time.  I have six children and only a few of them ever used a pacifier.  This last one, I didn't use one for her at first.  But she would finish nursing and want to stay latched on.  But she would pull away (stretching and hurting me), cry, and latch on again, only to repeat over and over and over again.  She would scream and cry and clearly did not want to eat.  When I started giving the pacifier when she finished eating, the screaming stopped.  She would suck and calm down.  

As far as this study goes, clearly every child is different.  Maybe it helps some babies, and it definitely hinders others.  

Quoting Smokeygirl:

Hmm... I have a hard time believing this, if only for the fact that it takes away the supply building benifits of comfort nursing. Pacifiers have always and will always be mom replacement devices.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Exactly what I was thinking

Quoting Smokeygirl:

Hmm... I have a hard time believing this, if only for the fact that it takes away the supply building benifits of comfort nursing. Pacifiers have always and will always be mom replacement devices.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM
GOOD!!! Let me know when you get the appointment set! I can't wait for you to say how much better nursing is once she can latch properly. Amanda needs to do the same thing for her boys. I keep thinking you two need to go together.

Quoting mama-smurf: Yes she accepts my insursncd. Im saving up right now for the gas and my bfs car battery died so he has to get it fixed. Im gonna save like $75 or so for the drive there and back. As soon as i get the money ill make an appt. Autumns also teething and drooling like crazy so that factors in too.

Quoting aehanrahan: Felisha, are you going to take her to the other dentist to get her tongue clipped? I can understand why you want her to have the pacifier since it hurts to nurse.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Yes, i had one of those. He wanted ti comfort nurse but i had oal and over supply and it eas too much. I was very anti pacifier but decided to try it and it worked until my oal calmed down. We used it for a few weeks and then.stopped, so.I think a pacifier can.be useful is certain circumstances.

Quoting micheledo:

I'm probably too sensitive about that statement.  But I don't think it is really an accurate one all the time.  I have six children and only a few of them ever used a pacifier.  This last one, I didn't use one for her at first.  But she would finish nursing and want to stay latched on.  But she would pull away (stretching and hurting me), cry, and latch on again, only to repeat over and over and over again.  She would scream and cry and clearly did not want to eat.  When I started giving the pacifier when she finished eating, the screaming stopped.  She would suck and calm down.  

As far as this study goes, clearly every child is different.  Maybe it helps some babies, and it definitely hinders others.  

Quoting Smokeygirl:

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting micheledo:

Quoting Smokeygirl:

I didn't say that it was a bad thing, just the truth. You gave the pacifier so she could suck without getting milk from you- replacing your nipple with the paci. They have their place, but a blanket statement that they help breastfeeding is wrong too. They have their place, but not every baby should get one, especially in the beginning.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Aww thanks :-) I definitely will. We are just having money problems right now.

Quoting aehanrahan: GOOD!!! Let me know when you get the appointment set! I can't wait for you to say how much better nursing is once she can latch properly. Amanda needs to do the same thing for her boys. I keep thinking you two need to go together.

Quoting mama-smurf: Yes she accepts my insursncd. Im saving up right now for the gas and my bfs car battery died so he has to get it fixed. Im gonna save like $75 or so for the drive there and back. As soon as i get the money ill make an appt. Autumns also teething and drooling like crazy so that factors in too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN