Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No more nipple confusion: Study says pacifiers may help breast-feeding

Posted by   + Show Post
I say bull!!! I went through nipple confusion with Autumn.

http://m.today.com/moms/no-more-nipple-confusion-study-says-pacifiers-may-help-breast-743227
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
LilliesValley
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Sorry this doesn't seem to be a great study. Way to many open variables. There are very few times moms can't bf so if baby is not on the breast and feeding or just sucking the breast isn't being stimulated the same way. I think one study jumping to big conclusions and being mainstreamed to the public like it is a fact is grossly irresponsible. I'd have to wonder who paid for the study too. Way to many questions and not enough fact. The sad thing is doctors will jump on this and likely more damage to bf moms and their babies. Smdh.
perrywinkle
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I think it depends on the child. My son got a paci and bottles for about 24 hours after he was born (he was in the NICU away from me) and I was so grateful for the paci. It kept him calm for alot of tests and he slept so good in the little warmer using one. When I went back to nursing, he picked it right up again like he never stopped. I am giving him a bottle every couple of days so I know he will take them, but he prefers to nurse.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Only time I call the insurance is to switch pedis. I always ask the dentists or doctors. They usually handle the insurance companies

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: No, I called the insurance companies. I am on my fourth pedi in 5 months! :-/ Nobody here knows anything!

Quoting mama-smurf: You called amanda kaufman in ann arbor? Pedi won't give referral? Time fpr new pedi

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: I have medicaid and delta dental, neither will cover it, I called both brfore I took Coen in for his ULT

Quoting mama-smurf: What insurance do you have? I have United health care through the state. Ins said needed referral but the drs just tell me not to worry about it,

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Yes, I definitely do! Unfortunately my budget is more than tight right now and my insurance will not cover tongue or lip tie revisions without a referral. :-(

Quoting aehanrahan: GOOD!!! Let me know when you get the appointment set! I can't wait for you to say how much better nursing is once she can latch properly. Amanda needs to do the same thing for her boys. I keep thinking you two need to go together.

Quoting mama-smurf: Yes she accepts my insursncd. Im saving up right now for the gas and my bfs car battery died so he has to get it fixed. Im gonna save like $75 or so for the drive there and back. As soon as i get the money ill make an appt. Autumns also teething and drooling like crazy so that factors in too.

Quoting aehanrahan: Felisha, are you going to take her to the other dentist to get her tongue clipped? I can understand why you want her to have the pacifier since it hurts to nurse.
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

personally I feel like nipple confusion is more about bottles and flow than pacifiers. But then again, I never good get my son to take a bottle or paci, so I have no say haha. Im gunna read this though.

rfhsure
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM
My son doesnt use them..one nice thing is where I gave birth they don't give your child Bottles or pacifiers without your permission. They encourage breastfeeding so they're pretty adamant about keeping you and baby together and not interfering.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
The dentist made me call first, lol. I don't know maybe it's just medicaid. I hate it! :-/

Quoting mama-smurf: Only time I call the insurance is to switch pedis. I always ask the dentists or doctors. They usually handle the insurance companies

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: No, I called the insurance companies. I am on my fourth pedi in 5 months! :-/ Nobody here knows anything!

Quoting mama-smurf: You called amanda kaufman in ann arbor? Pedi won't give referral? Time fpr new pedi

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: I have medicaid and delta dental, neither will cover it, I called both brfore I took Coen in for his ULT

Quoting mama-smurf: What insurance do you have? I have United health care through the state. Ins said needed referral but the drs just tell me not to worry about it,

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Yes, I definitely do! Unfortunately my budget is more than tight right now and my insurance will not cover tongue or lip tie revisions without a referral. :-(

Quoting aehanrahan: GOOD!!! Let me know when you get the appointment set! I can't wait for you to say how much better nursing is once she can latch properly. Amanda needs to do the same thing for her boys. I keep thinking you two need to go together.

Quoting mama-smurf: Yes she accepts my insursncd. Im saving up right now for the gas and my bfs car battery died so he has to get it fixed. Im gonna save like $75 or so for the drive there and back. As soon as i get the money ill make an appt. Autumns also teething and drooling like crazy so that factors in too.

Quoting aehanrahan: Felisha, are you going to take her to the other dentist to get her tongue clipped? I can understand why you want her to have the pacifier since it hurts to nurse.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Thats odd. I only need referral for lakeshore ENT.do you wany me to call amanda kaufman and ask her if need referral because im going tell her my dr refuses because she doesnt believe in it.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: The dentist made me call first, lol. I don't know maybe it's just medicaid. I hate it! :-/

Quoting mama-smurf: Only time I call the insurance is to switch pedis. I always ask the dentists or doctors. They usually handle the insurance companies

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Evie didn't get one til 8 weeks, but it helped her latch. Unusual, but it does happen!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
2 babies, both binky girls, no problems. Nursed my first till 17 months and my 2nd is only 4 months so we've got a way to go 😊
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I think what's not coming out is the bad information they gi e mothers such as baby should only nurse for x number of minutes, and only x number of times per day, etc. Mothers may not want to continue nursing if they find out it's normal for a baby to nurse often or constantly in the beginning. I think they made their conclusions based on some faulty information.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)