Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No more nipple confusion: Study says pacifiers may help breast-feeding

Posted by   + Show Post
I say bull!!! I went through nipple confusion with Autumn.

http://m.today.com/moms/no-more-nipple-confusion-study-says-pacifiers-may-help-breast-743227
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (41-46):
hopeandglory53
by Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM

My personal feelings:

It completely depends on the individual CHILD. In some, it won't cause nipple confusion, problems down the road with breastfeeding, etc.

I have used paci's with all my kids. My son and 2 youngest daughters, well, it was a LIFE-SAVER having them. My oldest never really took to them, neither did my middle child (also a girl). All but my 2nd youngest were weaned from the paci, by themselves, at around 6 months age. I was actually sad when my now youngest weaned herself of the pacifier, because that was the only way I could get her to sleep (she would NOT fall asleep while nursing, she does now though).

So, in my personal case, they've been more of a help than a hinderance. Oh, and youngest is almost 3 weeks past turning 1, and still nursing strong.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Its all on babies personality, it has nothing to do with anything else!!

Its like saying all babies like to be held or all babies like being swaddled, or no babies like swings lol

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I think for moms with sore nipples and with oversupply thats causing baby issues, pacifiers can be a lifesaver, doesnt mean that babies dont prefer them or that it doesnt cause an issue, but it does give nipples a break that many moms need.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I htink pacifiers are worth a try, but if babywon't take them it's no huge deal. And if baby changes the latch so mom starts hurting when nursing, the pacifier needs to go.

Here's a thought: a "nursing-correct" pacifier that encouraged good latch and maybe made a noise to alert a parent when the latch was bad.

conejoazul
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM
The closest thing to a paci I"ll ever consider offering is my clean pinkie finger. And that won't be used often, either.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

idk.....this is my 1st to bf and there is no confusion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)