Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Diarrhea! Help please!!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 13 Replies
My almost 12 month old nursling has diarrhea. It's watery and green. She's been wanting to nurse a lot and has been having trouble sleeping. The poops are giving her horrible diaper rashes to top it all off.

I'm not sure why she has diarrhea. There doesn't seem to be a fever or other symptoms. Should I make her an appointment? This is day 2 or 3.

I don't have extra milk at the moment since I'm pregnant and my supply has dropped, so what are the best treatments for her poor little red butt besides breastmilk.
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Coconut oil should help. I've heard that liquid Maalox applied topically helps also.
McM0609
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Hmmm ... Is she teething? Usually green pop is from the foremilk the watery part of the milk that makes it diarrhea like. For the rash just let it air dry maybe nurse her longer so she can get into that hindmilk the creamier thicker milk. Im not sure if pregnancy has anything to do with it but hope this helps. GL
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I just had another thought... How far along are you? Did you colostrum just recently come in? Colostrum is extra laxative compared to mature milk.
outstandingLove
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
She is likely teething. I suppose it could be due to extra saliva?
I'm fairly certain it's not a fore milk/ hind milk imbalance. I've had that before and it never gave her diaper rash. Plus she has been nursing for long sessions.

Quoting McM0609: Hmmm ... Is she teething? Usually green pop is from the foremilk the watery part of the milk that makes it diarrhea like. For the rash just let it air dry maybe nurse her longer so she can get into that hindmilk the creamier thicker milk. Im not sure if pregnancy has anything to do with it but hope this helps. GL
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Is she getting teeth? Ds is getting his right side canines and he wont eat and wants to nurse a ton and has horrible diarrhea!

He gets it anytime he is teething. I always use coconut oil.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM
That's what I was thinking

Quoting aehanrahan: I just had another thought... How far along are you? Did you colostrum just recently come in? Colostrum is extra laxative compared to mature milk.
outstandingLove
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I'm almost 12 weeks. I think my milk is still mature. She gulps when my milk lets down.

Quoting aehanrahan: I just had another thought... How far along are you? Did you colostrum just recently come in? Colostrum is extra laxative compared to mature milk.
hopeandglory53
by Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My little one is also having problems with loser than normal stools.  I've been using corn starch on her rump to keep the rash away.

She still nurses frequently, but she only nurses as long as she wants to, and sometimes she doesn't get to the hindmilk. I also did notice she has a little bit of swollen gums, so I think that tooth is bothering her.

She's a couple weeks older than 1 year old.

Verolo7147
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM

for her red bottom try to air dry a lot, put towels underneed of her. Also avoid wipes use directly warm water from the sink. Go to whole food they have very good rash lotion, i tried the bees rash lotion it's about ($16). Good luck

outstandingLove
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM

the closest whole foods is 3 hours away.

Quoting Verolo7147:

for her red bottom try to air dry a lot, put towels underneed of her. Also avoid wipes use directly warm water from the sink. Go to whole food they have very good rash lotion, i tried the bees rash lotion it's about ($16). Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)