Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

she has a good feeding and latch

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 13 Replies
But will only actually wake up or route to feed. Like once a day. ( this is with little to no effort on my part.) Other wise she couldnt careless of she feeds every 3hrs. She would rather sleep. So they have me try the breast every three hrs (at least) and if she doesent take. I have to try pumping. Give that or forumla to her via finger feeding. (A tube attached to my finger with a syringe at the end of the tube.) But most times its a stuggle to get her to do that. I ways leave forumla finger feeding as a last resort. I'm just wondering. How long should i let her go inbetween? She would sleep all day if i let her. (No routing no sucking or smacking. And even of she does that most times she would rather sleep. ) when she is up for the breast. She's awesome. I don't know what to do... I'm still in post partum in the hospital. She was born tuesday after noon.
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM
This is perfectly normal. Change her diaper, strip all her clothes off, put a cool washcloth on her to irritate her enough so she will wake up to eat. It takes a lot of effort in the beginning to get a sleepy baby to eat. Try to feed her every 2-3 hours. One diaper per day of life is all you're looking for. No formula and I wouldn't pump yet. Just work at getting her awake enough to latch. Is there an IBCLC at the hospital who can help you?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Is she jaundiced? How are her diapers? I agree with Kelley.^^^ Stop with the formula and pumping. The only reason to pump and feed extra would be if she's jaundiced and not making her diapers. Formula is not necessary at this point.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Is she a preemie? Keep her skin-to-skin as much as you can when she isn't under lights, orask for a bili-blanket.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Some babies are extra sleepy, and.if she is jaundice that will.factor in. Dont pump or give.formula,.just keep offering. If she is jaundice you will have to keep waking her every hour and a half to nurse. Of they insist on.seeing a certain amount of milk given then pump it and give with a syringe after nursing, or.use an sns, but dont replace it with nursing. No formula :)
pregnantmama105
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Her billy ruben numbers are high. She came on her own at 37wk1day.
krazene
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I just had DD Tuesday morning at 35 weeks. We came home yesterday, but while in the hospital they did want me to supplement. I put her to the breast every 2 hours, if she didn't want to latch I would put a little formula in her mouth to get her interested. They gave me a syringe with a tube attached that you slipped in her mouth while she latched. She's nursing like a champ now with no formula.
My advice is to us that tube thing while she is latched, not with your finger and don't pump yet. I would only pump if baby was away from you like NICU or nursery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
That's fine. Up to 70% of babies have newborn jaundice. Its not something to be alarmed about. Babies are born with more red blood cells than they need. They break them down and the product is bilirubin, which causes the yellow jaundice color. It's a normal physiological process. Do what you can to get your baby latched on every 2 hours. That will cause bowel movements, which rids the body of the excess bilirubin. Do not listen to them if they say she needs formula.

Quoting pregnantmama105: Her billy ruben numbers are high. She came on her own at 37wk1day.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM
How high? Under 20 is not worrisome and should just require frequent nursing and maybe light therapy. Have they offered a bili-blanket so you can keep her skin to skin and nurse frequently?

Quoting pregnantmama105: Her billy ruben numbers are high. She came on her own at 37wk1day.
pregnantmama105
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Ill ask. I couldnt find her numbers on her chart... and they haven't offered a blanket or light therapy.. They just told me to feed more frequently...

Quoting aehanrahan: How high? Under 20 is not worrisome and should just require frequent nursing and maybe light therapy. Have they offered a bili-blanket so you can keep her skin to skin and nurse frequently?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
If they aren't doing the lights, her numbers are NOT high!!! Yes, frequent feeding is what is needed to get her to poop out the meconium.
Keep her on your bare chest and try latching every 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Quoting pregnantmama105: Ill ask. I couldnt find her numbers on her chart... and they haven't offered a blanket or light therapy.. They just told me to feed more frequently...

Quoting aehanrahan: How high? Under 20 is not worrisome and should just require frequent nursing and maybe light therapy. Have they offered a bili-blanket so you can keep her skin to skin and nurse frequently?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN