Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help a friend..eta

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 4 Replies

My friend is bf'ing and is having issues pumping....she says only drops come out when she tries to pump

She is returning to work in 2wks and wants to have a stash started

She says she doesnt feel the tingly letdown

Could she just not be responding to a pump? She had it on high when she pumped, so I told her to start off low to start the letdown (what another friend told me)

I'm gonna give her Blessed Thistle. Should I get her Fenugreek too?
She is eating oatmeal every day and drinking water all day long 

**i think i figured out the problem, the flanges (sp?) arent big enough for her areolas! she is gonna call to get bigger ones*

thanks!

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM
How old is her baby? What kind of pump is she using? Is her baby nursing on demand otherwise? Have her try pumping before, during or after the first morning feeding. Normal output from both breasts combined is .5-2 ounces per 15-20 minute session. Print her off a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" from kellymom.com. All the information she'll need for her and her caregiver. How is the baby's latch and diaper count?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting MusherMaggie: How old is her baby? What kind of pump is she using? Is her baby nursing on demand otherwise? Have her try pumping before, during or after the first morning feeding. Normal output from both breasts combined is .5-2 ounces per 15-20 minute session. Print her off a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" from kellymom.com. All the information she'll need for her and her caregiver. How is the baby's latch and diaper count?

her baby is 4wks. pump is a double electric Ameda (i believe). She is nursing roughly every 2hrs (baby goes longer at night), on demand.

i think baby's latch is good and diaper count is good too, i gotta check

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Has she tried pumping WHILE nursing/ It does take some coordination. She should not start it on high, as you've already told her.

If you're able to take a look at the pump, you might check that the whole assembly is in good shape.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Has she tried pumping WHILE nursing/ It does take some coordination. She should not start it on high, as you've already told her.

If you're able to take a look at the pump, you might check that the whole assembly is in good shape.

i'll let her know and will check, thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN