Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some questions!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
So my DD is now 6 years old and when she was born I breastfed her for only 2 months. There was a number of reasons it was short lived, I was young and embarrassed of doing it in public, my supply was huge at the beginning and then started to dry up, about that time our apartment burned down and I didn't take the time to go to a doctor or have any breast feeding consultation and to be honest I just didn't put forth the effort I could have if I was 100% dedicated. I will be 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I am completely dedicated to doing it right this time and I don't wanna mess it up. I have a few questions for you breastfeeding mamas.

Do you use a pacifier or just let your baby use you as a pacifier? It is better to use a pump or strictly breast? If you don't pump what do you do if you become painfully full? How long can you exclusively breastfeed before introducing cereal/baby food?

Also any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, I still have a long way to go, but it's nice to be prepared!
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM

A pacifier is a mom replacement, but yes I allowed my babies to comfort nurse. We also occasionally we do use a paci though, but after the first month or so. I never pumped or became painfully engorged but if I had I'd just hand express for comfort. We skipped cereal, it's as nutritious as the box it's in but did baby led solids(soft chunks of real food) at 6 months, no purees either. 

smurfy88
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Thanks :-) did you go straight from breastfeeding to a sippy cup when your baby was older or introduce a bottle along the way?

Quoting mamabens:

A pacifier is a mom replacement, but yes I allowed my babies to comfort nurse. We also occasionally we do use a paci though, but after the first month or so. I never pumped or became painfully engorged but if I had I'd just hand express for comfort. We skipped cereal, it's as nutritious as the box it's in but did baby led solids(soft chunks of real food) at 6 months, no purees either. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Hello and welcome!

Determination is so important in breastfeeding,.especially if you have some.tough obstacles to face (not everyone does).

I only use a pacifer in the car. Its a good thing for babies to comfort suck, it helps.keep supply up, and great for bonding. Pacifiers are substitutes for the breast.

I very very rarely pump, i dont need to because I dont leave my baby. If i.have engorgement than I blockfeed to slow down production and express milk with my hand just enough for comfort.

None if my babies every had cereal. I used baby led weaning method in introducing solid food. Look at www.kellymom.com and when to intoduce solids. Www.askdrsears.com has good advice as well. I started with whole fruits and veggies, and allowed my babies to feed themselves.

I have four kids, youngest is 4 months, oldest is 7. My first three i gradually weaned around 2-21/2 years old.
smurfy88
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM
This is really helpful! Thank you for the advice and the links!

Quoting Precious333: Hello and welcome!

Determination is so important in breastfeeding,.especially if you have some.tough obstacles to face (not everyone does).

I only use a pacifer in the car. Its a good thing for babies to comfort suck, it helps.keep supply up, and great for bonding. Pacifiers are substitutes for the breast.

I very very rarely pump, i dont need to because I dont leave my baby. If i.have engorgement than I blockfeed to slow down production and express milk with my hand just enough for comfort.

None if my babies every had cereal. I used baby led weaning method in introducing solid food. Look at www.kellymom.com and when to intoduce solids. Www.askdrsears.com has good advice as well. I started with whole fruits and veggies, and allowed my babies to feed themselves.

I have four kids, youngest is 4 months, oldest is 7. My first three i gradually weaned around 2-21/2 years old.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Very welcome and congrats on your pregnancy. This group is awesome, so ask away! :)

Quoting smurfy88: This is really helpful! Thank you for the advice and the links!

Quoting Precious333: Hello and welcome!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Do you use a pacifier or just let your baby use you as a pacifier?
I really kind of hate the phrase "using you as a pacifier." THe paci is a mom replacement device; it's meant to take the place of your breast, not the breast replacing the pacifier, you know?
That siad... mine was utterly uninterested in pacifiers until he needed something to chew on when teething.
It is better to use a pump or strictly breast?
If you don't HAVE to pump, don't bother... it's such a pain in the butt.
If you don't pump what do you do if you become painfully full?
Nurse the baby. **grin** Ice packs can help. Bags of frozen peas work great.
How long can you exclusively breastfeed before introducing cereal/baby food?
Don't bother with cefreal. It's junk. Six months is the mINIMUM for exclusive breastfeeding. You CAN go a whole year if you'd like; solids are not nutritionally important. When you DO introduce them, if it's before the first birthday, they only come AFTER nursing, never before or separately. The milk is the vital part of the diet; the solids are the "dessert."

Also any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, I still have a long way to go, but it's nice to be prepared!

smurfy88
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Thank you for your helpful info!

One thing I'm worried about this time is leaking through from too much milk. With my daughter I remember we had a dinner to go to and I nursed her shortly before leaving, barely an hour after nursing I leaked through my nipple cover and two layers of shirts before we even made it to dinner. Is this common or does it just take time to regulate your supply?

Quoting gdiamante:

Do you use a pacifier or just let your baby use you as a pacifier?
I really kind of hate the phrase "using you as a pacifier." THe paci is a mom replacement device; it's meant to take the place of your breast, not the breast replacing the pacifier, you know?
That siad... mine was utterly uninterested in pacifiers until he needed something to chew on when teething.
It is better to use a pump or strictly breast?
If you don't HAVE to pump, don't bother... it's such a pain in the butt.
If you don't pump what do you do if you become painfully full?
Nurse the baby. **grin** Ice packs can help. Bags of frozen peas work great.
How long can you exclusively breastfeed before introducing cereal/baby food?
Don't bother with cefreal. It's junk. Six months is the mINIMUM for exclusive breastfeeding. You CAN go a whole year if you'd like; solids are not nutritionally important. When you DO introduce them, if it's before the first birthday, they only come AFTER nursing, never before or separately. The milk is the vital part of the diet; the solids are the "dessert."

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yes, it takes time. Nursing pads are pretty much like sanitary pads; you['ll change them a lot! (I remember actually once having to use a sanitary pad cut in half; I had no nursing pads with me!)

Quoting smurfy88: Thank you for your helpful info!

One thing I'm worried about this time is leaking through from too much milk. With my daughter I remember we had a dinner to go to and I nursed her shortly before leaving, barely an hour after nursing I leaked through my nipple cover and two layers of shirts before we even made it to dinner. Is this common or does it just take time to regulate your supply?
smurfy88
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Lol okay thanks! Maybe I'll keep both on me to take precaution!

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes, it takes time. Nursing pads are pretty much like sanitary pads; you['ll change them a lot! (I remember actually once having to use a sanitary pad cut in half; I had no nursing pads with me!)

Quoting smurfy88: Thank you for your helpful info!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome and congratulations!!!
You already got great answers to your questions. Read and learn. Start with this group and the sites that Julia gave above. Then come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)