Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What a mess

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 22 Replies

OK, i posted about my friend who had flat nipples. Gave her all your suggestions and links to kellymom. Baby had jaundice, was born the  14th i think. She ended up pumping and using a syringe, then bought a nipple shield, which she said took care of baby not latching. Now she is still pumping, offering breast first but after every feeding giving the milk she pumped too. Because doctor said babies weight was too low. Shes pumping to relieve engorgement. Does this all sound ok? Is it ok shes using a breast shield and not shells? baby was 6.6 at birth dropped 6% in hospitalthen was at 12% drop on wednesday. They didnt get the nipple shield and correct the problem until wednesday.I am trying to help her but im afraid the pumping and bottles are a problem and im not sure what the weight gain should look like. Please help me help her!

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Sounds like baby is getting most likely overfed from nursing AND bottles together. A shield is for damaged nipples, shells are to help draw out the nipple and doesn't come in contact with the baby so no need to wean off of them. Pumping to relieve engorgement is a catch 22. It's really telling her body to make tons more milk because she has a lot of babies to feed instead of only 1. Babies can loses 10-12% of birthweight and still be ok. It's very normal, especially if mom had iv fluids during labor.
Edenpeden
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Ok, ive been trying to tell her some of this, but wanted to make sure i was right. So use the shells, wean off the shields, and stop pumping?

Quoting Junebaby18: Sounds like baby is getting most likely overfed from nursing AND bottles together. A shield is for damaged nipples, shells are to help draw out the nipple and doesn't come in contact with the baby so no need to wean off of them. Pumping to relieve engorgement is a catch 22. It's really telling her body to make tons more milk because she has a lot of babies to feed instead of only 1. Babies can loses 10-12% of birthweight and still be ok. It's very normal, especially if mom had iv fluids during labor.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Quoting Edenpeden:

Ok, ive been trying to tell her some of this, but wanted to make sure i was right. So use the shells, wean off the shields, and stop pumping?

Quoting Junebaby18: Sounds like baby is getting most likely overfed from nursing AND bottles together. A shield is for damaged nipples, shells are to help draw out the nipple and doesn't come in contact with the baby so no need to wean off of them. Pumping to relieve engorgement is a catch 22. It's really telling her body to make tons more milk because she has a lot of babies to feed instead of only 1. Babies can loses 10-12% of birthweight and still be ok. It's very normal, especially if mom had iv fluids during labor.

The shells go inside the bra and never touch the baby while nursing. It baby is just turning 6 days today, she may not even need to wean off of them. Just do cold turkey. If baby doesn't like that, then mom needs to wean off of them.
amandaut99
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Maybe suggest she use this? I came across it the other day and it seemed like it might be useful. Apparently you use this device to pull the nipples out right before you latch the baby on. It has some good reviews,

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-70170-Latchassist-Nipple-Everter/dp/B00112EIWW

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Yes, this is highly recommended!

Quoting amandaut99:

Maybe suggest she use this? I came across it the other day and it seemed like it might be useful. Apparently you use this device to pull the nipples out right before you latch the baby on. It has some good reviews,

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-70170-Latchassist-Nipple-Everter/dp/B00112EIWW

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Up to 12% loss is normal and expected in the first week. Starting tomorrow, minimum gain should be an average of 4-7 ounces per week. She could see 5 ounces one week and 3 the next and be perfect because the average is 4 per week. Has her milk come in yet?
Edenpeden
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Yes, part of why she pumps is to relieve the pressure.

Quoting aehanrahan: Up to 12% loss is normal and expected in the first week. Starting tomorrow, minimum gain should be an average of 4-7 ounces per week. She could see 5 ounces one week and 3 the next and be perfect because the average is 4 per week. Has her milk come in yet?
Edenpeden
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I just looked on kellymom, it said sometimes 10% is considered normal, nothing about 12%

Quoting aehanrahan: Up to 12% loss is normal and expected in the first week. Starting tomorrow, minimum gain should be an average of 4-7 ounces per week. She could see 5 ounces one week and 3 the next and be perfect because the average is 4 per week. Has her milk come in yet?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Hand expressing just enough for relief is better and won't cause oversupply. There's no reason to pump and give that milk unless she's not changing enough diapers. The bottles can cause flow and nipple preference.

Quoting Edenpeden: Yes, part of why she pumps is to relieve the pressure.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
12% is normal when mom is given IV fluids or had a C-section. There was a study from UC Davis about it.

Quoting Edenpeden: I just looked on kellymom, it said sometimes 10% is considered normal, nothing about 12%

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN