Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping problems-is this normal?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 9 Replies
My baby is 10 months old and I have been pumping at work for 7 months. I pump 3 times while at work. Recently the amount I am pumping is less and less. Was pumping 8-9 ounces/ day. Now I'm lucky if I get 5-6. Just now I pumped NOTHING from one side! Never had that happen before! I am worried because I'm no longer pumping what he is eating while I'm at work. What can I do? I have heard that the amount you pump decreases with time, but this worries me!
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Same thing happened to me at about the same time. It did increase. Not as much as before, but enough for the next day. Drink more water, that seems to help. Try pumping on the weekends too if you can to stash. I pulled frozen for a while until it increased.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Yes, it's normal. At his age, he will be fine with whatever amount you can send, water and solids. This is as long as you give him access to the breast whenever he wants it when you're home. Are you pumping on your off days?
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM
What kind of pump? If it's the medela pis, you want to check the membranes and see if they need to be replaced. I agree with just sending what you are able to pump each day and solids and baby will make up for it when your home.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM
No, I don't pump when I'm home. I just feed on demand.

Quoting stepconfused182: Yes, it's normal. At his age, he will be fine with whatever amount you can send, water and solids. This is as long as you give him access to the breast whenever he wants it when you're home. Are you pumping on your off days?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
That would probably help to make up the difference and possibly increase your output at work. But, if you don't want to start that at this point, sending what you can would be fine.

Quoting KarenM42: No, I don't pump when I'm home. I just feed on demand.

Quoting stepconfused182: Yes, it's normal. At his age, he will be fine with whatever amount you can send, water and solids. This is as long as you give him access to the breast whenever he wants it when you're home. Are you pumping on your off days?
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I think you may be a genius & solved my problem. I have been feeling that the pump felt weaker than before & I was having to turn it up higher. I had spare membranes in my pump bag & changed them. Omg!!! What a difference! Am pumping at this moment & getting a lot of milk! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Quoting shortyali: What kind of pump? If it's the medela pis, you want to check the membranes and see if they need to be replaced. I agree with just sending what you are able to pump each day and solids and baby will make up for it when your home.
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Np. Those are very fragile and the tiniest tear or slight stretch out of shape and they stop working. Glad I could help!!

Quoting KarenM42: I think you may be a genius & solved my problem. I have been feeling that the pump felt weaker than before & I was having to turn it up higher. I had spare membranes in my pump bag & changed them. Omg!!! What a difference! Am pumping at this moment & getting a lot of milk! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Quoting shortyali: What kind of pump? If it's the medela pis, you want to check the membranes and see if they need to be replaced. I agree with just sending what you are able to pump each day and solids and baby will make up for it when your home.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Just pumped 4 ounces (total)! Soooooo relieved that it was not a supply issue. Thanks again!!!

Quoting KarenM42: I think you may be a genius & solved my problem. I have been feeling that the pump felt weaker than before & I was having to turn it up higher. I had spare membranes in my pump bag & changed them. Omg!!! What a difference! Am pumping at this moment & getting a lot of milk! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Even though you figured out the problem, what Stepconfused said is what I would have said.
I'm glad you solved it! 😉
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)