Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Skelaxin (Metaxalone)?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 6 Replies

Wondering if any of you ladies can help me figure out if this is ok to take while BFing. Neither drug name (Skelaxin is the brand name, Metaxalone the generic, I believe) came up for me on Lactmed. It's a muscle relaxer. I pinched something in my back this morning & it's really killing me now. I have this left over from last time I had this issue, but I wasn't bfing at the time. Any idea if it's safe or not? Thanks ladies!

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I found this on a diaperswappers chatroom

I looked it up in Hale's "Medication and Mothers' Milk". It does say it is an L3. Metaxalone is a centrally acting sedative used primarily as a muscle relaxant. Its ability to relaxskeletal muscle is weak and is probably due to its sedative properties. Hypersensitivity in adults have occurred as well as liver toxicity. No data are available on its transfer into breastmilk.

Infant conerns: None reported.

Its half life is at 2-3 hours (how long it take to start breaking down by halving itself). And it takes 2 hours for it to reach its highest peak in mother's blood.

L3 states: Moderately Safe.

There are no controlled studies in BFing women; however the risk of untoward effects to a BF infant is possible or controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.
cp428
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Thank you!

So.... L3. LO is 7.5 months old. I don't intend on taking much, maybe one this afternoon & another this evening if I'm still in pain. Probably ok? Any idea if flexeril (or something else) would potentially be a better option?

Quoting melindabelcher: I found this on a diaperswappers chatroom

I looked it up in Hale's "Medication and Mothers' Milk". It does say it is an L3. Metaxalone is a centrally acting sedative used primarily as a muscle relaxant. Its ability to relaxskeletal muscle is weak and is probably due to its sedative properties. Hypersensitivity in adults have occurred as well as liver toxicity. No data are available on its transfer into breastmilk.

Infant conerns: None reported.

Its half life is at 2-3 hours (how long it take to start breaking down by halving itself). And it takes 2 hours for it to reach its highest peak in mother's blood.

L3 states: Moderately Safe.

There are no controlled studies in BFing women; however the risk of untoward effects to a BF infant is possible or controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM
It seemed to imply that dr hale prefers skelaxin over flexeril.
I don't have the book so I can't say with 100% certainty but it seems to be reliable.
cp428
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Gotcha. I appreciate the info!!

Quoting melindabelcher: It seemed to imply that dr hale prefers skelaxin over flexeril.
I don't have the book so I can't say with 100% certainty but it seems to be reliable.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
At 7mo I think your pretty safe to take an occasional muscle relaxer.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I agree!
I hope you feel better soon!

Quoting melindabelcher: At 7mo I think your pretty safe to take an occasional muscle relaxer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)