Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Supply adjusting question.

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM
  • 11 Replies
I had baby number three last week and I've been nursing both boys. During the day I don't have any problems but night time sucks. I get full and engorged and every time the baby wakes to nurse I spend five minutes latching him on. I have to sit up to get him on and then slowly and carefully lay back down. It's a pita. Roughly how long do you think it will take my boobs to figure out I only nurse one kid at night?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MinaPR
by Mina on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I had to pump at night to avoid getting too engorged because my newborn is soooooo lazy she's been sleeping through the night since before she was 4 weeks old. Most nights she sleeps over 12 hrs straight!But I don't think that'll help you because it's too soon and it might trigger an oversupply. It took my boobs about a week to adjust... I don't have to do the night pumping anymore.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:34 AM
I'm missing a piece for my electric pump so I'm stuck using my manual. I've thought about pumping once or twice a night, but I've been too lazy to get out of bed. I keep washcloths, a little jar full of water and two diapers next to my bed to change diapers and clean up spit up and leaks.
My milk took almost two days to come in, so it's only been six days so far. It's just annoying because I'm so used to the older one latching himself on.

Quoting MinaPR:

I had to pump at night to avoid getting too engorged because my newborn is soooooo lazy she's been sleeping through the night since before she was 4 weeks old. Most nights she sleeps over 12 hrs straight!But I don't think that'll help you because it's too soon and it might trigger an oversupply. It took my boobs about a week to adjust... I don't have to do the night pumping anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM
It won't take long. I was completely regulated by 2 weeks this time around. I didn't pump at all and still haven't at almost 6 weeks post partum. I hand expressed a very small amount when my boobs felt like rocks, but that only happened for a couple days. Avoiding the pump helps tremendously.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM
I'm pumping once in the morning, but not during the night while I'm engorged. I'm pumping after the older one wakes up and nurses. I didn't want to start pumping during the night because I'm lazy and I'm afraid it will just make it take longer for them to stop getting engorged at night.

Quoting stepconfused182: It won't take long. I was completely regulated by 2 weeks this time around. I didn't pump at all and still haven't at almost 6 weeks post partum. I hand expressed a very small amount when my boobs felt like rocks, but that only happened for a couple days. Avoiding the pump helps tremendously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Skittles1988
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

The engorgment takes a few days to a week to stop. Just like increasing a supply can take a few days to a week. Perhaps hand express a small amount to relieve pressure but not enough to make your body start producing more and causing further engorgement. 

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I'm only getting engorged at night since the older one doesn't wake up to nurse anymore. So during the day I nurse both kids and I'm fine, but the first time the newborn wakes up to nurse I'm engorged and it lasts all night until ds1 wakes up. I'm not pumping or hand expressing at all at night, I'm just wondering how long it will take.

Quoting Skittles1988:

The engorgment takes a few days to a week to stop. Just like increasing a supply can take a few days to a week. Perhaps hand express a small amount to relieve pressure but not enough to make your body start producing more and causing further engorgement. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Skittles1988
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

As I said, in a few days to a week. It might be different since you are nursing both children during the day. It usually takes 1-7 days for your supply to even out so that you aren't getting engorged in the night. For some women it takes longer but that's outside the 'norm'.

Quoting polkaspots: I'm only getting engorged at night since the older one doesn't wake up to nurse anymore. So during the day I nurse both kids and I'm fine, but the first time the newborn wakes up to nurse I'm engorged and it lasts all night until ds1 wakes up. I'm not pumping or hand expressing at all at night, I'm just wondering how long it will take.

Quoting Skittles1988:

anitaredd
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I tandem nursed too, it adjusts very quickly. You are doing a very admirable thibg for your children, keep up the good work.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
That's awesome, it means I should stop getting engorged at night within the few days. Thanks.

Quoting Skittles1988:

As I said, in a few days to a week. It might be different since you are nursing both children during the day. It usually takes 1-7 days for your supply to even out so that you aren't getting engorged in the night. For some women it takes longer but that's outside the 'norm'.

Quoting polkaspots: I'm only getting engorged at night since the older one doesn't wake up to nurse anymore. So during the day I nurse both kids and I'm fine, but the first time the newborn wakes up to nurse I'm engorged and it lasts all night until ds1 wakes up. I'm not pumping or hand expressing at all at night, I'm just wondering how long it will take.

Quoting Skittles1988:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. My goal was two years, but I don't think he's going to be anywhere closer to weaning two months from now, so I might be tandem nursing for quite a while.

Quoting anitaredd: I tandem nursed too, it adjusts very quickly. You are doing a very admirable thibg for your children, keep up the good work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)