Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding multiples? Advice?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi mommas, anyone breastfeed mulitiples?!

My triplets are 5 weeks old. I breastfed my older girls (now 4 and 2) and would like to do the same for my babies. Of course, I haven't been able to nurse all the time. I pump A LOT (I rented a hospital-grade pump) and suplement with formula.

I'm getting a lot of shit for even trying. At our Christmas Eve party the babies were really fussy! I decided to nurse because it usually settles them down quickly. My nanny (who volunteered to help at the party) came upstairs to give me a hand. I typically don't cover up when breastfeeding at home, but even more so when I have a baby on each side and they are just learning to latch. My MIL heard I was feeding the babies and came upstairs to give me a hand. She was horrified. She thought it was completely ridiculous I was trying to breastfeed triplets, and not only that, it was inappropriate that I was doing it in front of "the help".

I have to admit, breastfeeding is a lot of work, especially multiples. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to do it, but I want to give it a shot. 

Advice?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsspurlockk
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Your MIL sounds like a b**ch, one who definitely doesn't know her place. She was completely out of line with all of those comments. I unfortunately am only expecting my first so I have no advice, but I just thought you should know that I think it's so great that youre trying to do whats best for them despite how hard it is!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Ok, first off, ignore what your mom said, and nurse however works for you.

I have never had to breastfeed muliples (besides a toddler and infant), but i would nurse as often as you can. Your only responsibility right now is to nurse and make sure you are fed, that is it!
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I have heard of a mom who breastfed her triplets.  I believe she nursed two and gave one a bottle and would rotate who got the bottle each time.  When I get a chance I will try and find a link for you.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM
There's a mom here who just recently made it past a year with triplets! It can be done! Just one question... Why are they getting formula? Were they preemies? Do you know that formula raises the risk of NEC, especially in preemies? The amazing thing about breastfeeding is that your body will always make the perfect milk for your babies.
Congratulations and good luck with your breastfeeding endeavor! We'll be here to help and support you any way we can.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Wow! You are my hero! Some women won't commit to breastfeeding one baby, let alone 3. So much respect for you! Ignore your mil or anyone who gives you anything but encouragement. Good for you!
MommyJill87
by Jill on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Wow. Amazing job. I find nursing one at a time a challenge sometimes.

Ignore your mil. She is wacky.

Do whatever works for you and give yourself a pat on the back.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I am breastfeeding twins. I got a lot of weird looks and people who didn't I'd stick to nursing them but they are 3 and still going strong. I think it's great you are nursing you babies! Keep it up!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM
"Mothering Multiples" from La Leche League. LLLI.org.
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Awesome for nursing triplets!! Yes, nursing multiples is a different ballgame! I agree with MusherMaggie, Mothering Multiples is a great book. She also has a FB page. And there's a Facebook page called "Breastfeeding Multiples" and there is another mama who nursed triplets. 

Sorry your MIL was giving you crap, that's just ridiculous! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)