Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breast Milk Diapers vs. Similac Diapers

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 23 Replies
My son is breastfed. I try to exclusively breastfeed but sometimes I give him formula. Like a bottle a day usually at night when his dad gets up with him or like tonight when I ran to the store and he made him a bottle.

Question: He pees all day and night when he has just breast milk but doesn't poop. When my husband gives him similac he poops. People and his pediatrician said he will poop and not to worry but it does worry me. Now when he has similac and poops its horrible to watch. He cries and seems as if he is in pain. No small pellets and his stomach is not hard but why does he have to do so much to poop?? He is only 10 days old so I don't wana give him juice. Can it be the similac when he drinks it that makes it complicated and why didnt he go with breast milk??
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes. Formula is much harder to digest and can cause gastrointestinal upset. Nurse right before you leave, leave two ounces of expressed milk, and you're good for four hours. You should be up pumping when your husband gives that bottle at night or your supply will suffer. It would be easier on all of you to just nurse. Can you co-sleep, perhaps with the crib side-carred to the bed?
mylilprincesses
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Its normal for bf'd babies to go without a bowel movement. Similac may make him constipated and gassy. I would switch formulas or try to pump.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Actually, it is not normal in the first weeks. Until at least 3-4 weeks, we look for at least two quarter sized poops per 24 hours to show that the baby is getting enough milk.
This situation is different due to the formula.

Quoting mylilprincesses: Its normal for bf'd babies to go without a bowel movement. Similac may make him constipated and gassy. I would switch formulas or try to pump.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this
This!
Formula is much harder to digest and can cause stomach issues. Your milk is nature's best laxative, so the solution is to ditch the formula and just nurse, nurse, nurse.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Yes. Formula is much harder to digest and can cause gastrointestinal upset. Nurse right before you leave, leave two ounces of expressed milk, and you're good for four hours. You should be up pumping when your husband gives that bottle at night or your supply will suffer. It would be easier on all of you to just nurse. Can you co-sleep, perhaps with the crib side-carred to the bed?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Formula is complicating things...

One of my big questions is when you are together how do you nurse? do you time it? or nurse on demand?

rissamom224
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Awe I remember going through this.
I really don't know medically what to say but hugs mama, I remember feeling so sad for my little baby when she was in pain from pooping. Its sad watching them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM
https://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvdec97jan98p123.html
darciegenito
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I could be wrong but I think it may not be good for your baby to switch back and forth. Might upset his stomach because he's trying to digest one and then the other.  I know it's a pain, but maybe you can pump and have your husband feed him a bottle of your milk that way so you can get some rest if you really need the break.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM
You should really nurse and no formula while establishing supply.
mommietwobe
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I nurse on demand and usually 30-45 mins total. He sleeps so much if he hasn't woke up within 2 hours I wake and nurse him.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Formula is complicating things...

One of my big questions is when you are together how do you nurse? do you time it? or nurse on demand?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN