Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so disappointed in me :(

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM
  • 14 Replies
Dd is 9 days old. I'm staying at my parents for a a bit because dealing with all five kids while Dh is at work would be a bit much. I end up sleeping in the guest room with my 20 mo and my nb. Dd still doesn't latch well at all. I try to get her to nurse at night but I still NEED to pump. I set can alarm to pump and feed baby but the last two nights Ds (20 months) ends up waking up SCREAMING and wanting held. I lay him down and cuddle him intending on getting back up to pump and ovens up falling asleep. Last night and the night before I've ended up going 4-5 hours without pumping. :( I did a power pumping session yesterday in hopes of making up for it but I just feel so awful, I'm scared I'm going to lose my supply now. It won't be an issue once we get home because Dh can take the babies and let me pump but for now I'm really struggling :( so stinking annoyed with me!
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubbbaNbabygirl
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM
You don't need to pump as long as you are not overtly uncomfortable and baby is not getting any bottle feedings
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Are you exclusively pumping or is baby latching, just not well?
Mom24munchkins
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Baby is having a hard time removing milk. She latches good but she isn't staying on. She was born a bit early and very small. We've been pumping/bottle feeding and working on her latch. Obviously I'd like to get her to breat full time but right now she just can't do it

Quoting bubbbaNbabygirl: You don't need to pump as long as you are not overtly uncomfortable and baby is not getting any bottle feedings
MinaPR
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

You're HUMAN!!!! and with five kids many would have given up day1! Don't be annoyed, I have fallen asleep many times and neglected my MOTNP... I've even dreamt I did it when in fact I was sleeping! LOL!!! Once you get home try to get on a regular schedule and things should go back to normal.

Mom24munchkins
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
She will latch but she just doesn't stay on well enough to remove much milk. She's getting better but we just aren't there yet, sorry I didn't realize how vague the op was :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Are you exclusively pumping or is baby latching, just not well?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Look up the article on kellymom.com called "Getting Baby Back to Breast". I suspect you may be dealing with overactive letdown/oversupply. Try reclining when you nurse her: she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, her mouth over rather than under your nipple. Squish it a bit to get more of it in her mouth. Has she been checked for lip or tongue ties? Do lots of skin-to-skin contact to help stimulate both her and your supply. We've had several moms who were successful at this after several weeks of difficulty. Hang in there, and stay in touch with us. You can do this!
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM
well as long as you are nursing and she didn't get a bottle in those five hours then it shouldn't matter much. I EPed for eight weeks. We went on vacation and I was a little less strict about my pumping schedule. I went eight hours one day and was pretty much fully engorged the whole trip. But when I got back home (after three days) I got back on schedule and my supply had only dropped a little maybe half an ounce per breast per session. I don't think a couple of times going just a tad bit longer than normal is going to have much of an affect. You should be fine.

Quoting Mom24munchkins: She will latch but she just doesn't stay on well enough to remove much milk. She's getting better but we just aren't there yet, sorry I didn't realize how vague the op was :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Are you exclusively pumping or is baby latching, just not well?
Mom24munchkins
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I never considered oal being an issue but at this point it's a really good possibility! If I don't give her a slow flow bottle nipple she gags and sputters like crazy

Quoting MusherMaggie: Look up the article on kellymom.com called "Getting Baby Back to Breast". I suspect you may be dealing with overactive letdown/oversupply. Try reclining when you nurse her: she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, her mouth over rather than under your nipple. Squish it a bit to get more of it in her mouth. Has she been checked for lip or tongue ties? Do lots of skin-to-skin contact to help stimulate both her and your supply. We've had several moms who were successful at this after several weeks of difficulty. Hang in there, and stay in touch with us. You can do this!
graycalico
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
You should be ok. I went that long at night when my dd was in the nicu for three weeks. My supply was fine. She had a hard time nursing when she was small too ( 5 pounds) but I just kept offering and then supplementing with pumped milk. Once she was a bit bigger and got the hang of it she preferred me. She's 7 months and won't take a bottle now. Lol
Kathy489
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Are you in touch with a lactation consultant for support? La Leche League is great if you need women who can help and understand what you are going through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)