Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

diet and breastfeeding

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am a stay at home of two and trying to find a diet. Free of cost and wouldn't hurt milk supply. plz i also trying to find a filling diet to stop the endless empty feeling. smoothy, meals, anything plz!  

hold on to the memories cause you never know when that all you got!
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Eating whole foods and exercising is a really good plan. :)  Myfitnesspal is a free app/website that you can use to log your calories.  Make sure to add 500 to what they suggest as a calorie goal, eat whatever calories you burn through exercise, and don't try to lose more than 1 lb per week.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Proteins and fats tend to be more filling than carbs, so smoothies made with greek yogurt will fill you longer than those made with juice.  Nuts will keep you satisfied longer than pretzels.  Peanut butter or hummus with your veggies.  Try to pair a protein with each meal or snack. :)

mousermom
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

do you know ant recipes for meals snacks or smoothys. i love make all i am a cooker and bake, and love trying new things.

mousermom
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM

my goal is my prego weight 165 i am 185 was 200 when had ds

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I buy bananas weekly and peel/break into chunks/freeze the ones that get too ripe for most of my family to eat.  In the morning, I throw a whole banana's worth of frozen pieces in my ninja with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (we have some dairy issues, still, with cow's milk so I only buy almond), and either 2 T natural peanut butter OR 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, vanilla, spices (cinnamon, ginger, cloves), and a drizzle of honey.  The PB version is about 350 calories; the pumpkin pie version is about 300.

For meals, I usually start with a lean protein (pork chop, chicken breast, turkey, very lean beef) and then do any of several different things with it.  1) I stirfry it with a bunch of veggies and some whole wheat pasta (or over rice if I have time to make brown rice)... sauce is usually 3T soy sauce, some garlic and ginger, a little honey, and some chicken broth if it needs to be thinned out.  2) Bake or grill it with some seasoning and serve it with steamed or roasted veggies on the side, maybe with a sweet potato or baked potato.  3) Go Mexican-style and cook it with taco seasoning or marinate it for fajitas and girll/bake, then serve it with lots of veggies as a salad or in whole wheat tortillas.  4) Make pasta--diced up protein, cooked in a bit of olive oil with garlic and herbs, add a ton of veggies, toss with marinara and whole wheat pasta.  5) Roast a big piece of meat, eat with veggies and potatoes one night and then use leftovers to make sandwiches, salads, or wraps on whole wheat tortillas later in the week.  

I really try to keep the focus on proteins and produce and I don't eat a whole lot of starches, but those that I do eat are whole grains.  I use whole wheat flour for all of my baking (except for cakes)--I substitute exactly for the same amount of AP flour, except for in yeast breads where I add a good bit of vital wheat gluten as ww flour is much lower in gluten and you need to add some to get it to rise correctly.

For snacks, I keep nuts, peanut butter, fruits, veggies, and cheese in the house. :)  Veggies are cut up and ready to eat in the fridge, fruits are at eye level on the counter or in the fridge, so that's usually what gets gobbled up by everyone in our house.

Quoting mousermom:

do you know ant recipes for meals snacks or smoothys. i love make all i am a cooker and bake, and love trying new things.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

You can do it!  My goal is my starting college weight.  I kind of fell off the wagon with being sick through the summer and fall, so I'm getting back into it now.  What I said above works really well for me.  It helps to have a buddy to keep you going.  I'm k8wizzo on myfitnesspal if you want to friend request me. :)

Quoting mousermom:

mousermom
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

it'asking for a email for  myfitnesspal

Quoting K8wizzo:

You can do it!  My goal is my starting college weight.  I kind of fell off the wagon with being sick through the summer and fall, so I'm getting back into it now.  What I said above works really well for me.  It helps to have a buddy to keep you going.  I'm k8wizzo on myfitnesspal if you want to friend request me. :)

Quoting mousermom:

hold on to the memories cause you never know when that all you got!
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
My favorite smoothie is 1 cup yogurt (I use fat free vanilla), 1 c orange juice, 1 banana and 1/2-1c frozen berries (I use a mixture of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Blend all together. It's absolutely delicious. Those are approx measurements and will make more than one serving. You can experiment with measurements and yogurt flavors and fruits to perfect it to your taste!

Quoting mousermom:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My email?  k8wizzo@aol.com

Quoting mousermom:

it'asking for a email for  myfitnesspal

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting mousermom:

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, just watch what you eat.  

Lighter on the carbs, heavier on lean protein -- but still some of everything.  

Drink plenty of water and try more salads.  

What's a typical day right now?  Food wise?  

Do you use Pinterest?  If you do and love cooking, it's a great way to find recipes and keep them all together.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)