• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latch issues at 3 months?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi ladies! 

My dd is 3 months and it seems she has developed latch issues this past week or so.  I bf'ed my 2.5 yo up until March of this year w/ no issues so I'm stumped with what could be going on with this LO.  About a week ago she started nursing more often but for shorter periods, I assumed it was the 3 mo. growth spurt but she is still nursing more often than normal so I'm not so sure.  A day or two later is when it started to get a bit painful.  I've started to get a red blistery patch right above my nipples and it stings when she first latches.  I've just returned to work today and when I pump it really stings!  There is now a little blood blister spot on my right nipple now too.  Could it just be that she is getting a shallow latch?  She has started teething already too - could this cause a latch change perhaps?  Should I use lanolin until it heals a bit or just let them air dry more often?  Sorry for all the questions - I'm a bit stumped and hope this passes quickly!

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Put some milk on it after you nurse or pump.  You can use lanolin if you want to, as well.  When she's nursing, if you notice that her latch isn't right, unlatch her and make her fix it.... as many unlatch/relatch repeats as it takes to get it right.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I noticed my nipple is a little sore today ehrn nursing, which i think is because she is teething and congested as well. I just unlatch and trt latching if it feels wrong to me. Definitely rub some bm or lanoline, let it air dry if you can as well.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Yes, teething can change the latch; the pH of the saliva changes also and can be irritating. Treat teething pain, lanolin or breastmilk on the nipples, correct the latch.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM
What they all said!^^^
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)