• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One breast is constantly engorged!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello ladies! 

I recently had a baby (she's 3 weeks old) and I'm breastfeeding. I have had a wonderful experience for the most part. I am honestly just glad she latches and that she's doing well, I had a horrible time with my first daughter (she was tounge-tied, wouldn't latch, lost way too much weight once a latch was established, etc).

The only issue I've had this time around is that my right breast is a solid cup size larger, if I pump (to store for later) I can get 5oz out of this one and only 1.5 out of the other, and my right breast is constantly getting engorged and it's so painful! I nurse evenly on both sides, I've tried warm running water and massage, I don't know what to do! It gets so full and then engorged to the point where it's painful and then it leaks like crazy.

Any suggestions? 

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM
You can put cabbage in your right bra. Once your supply is morw regulated than it should get better, although it may always produce more.
MinaPR
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I had that problem with my second baby, (my right boob still produces waaaay more than the left but DD doesn't seem to mind it, LOL!), my boy absolutely refused to take the right side. My right breast was constantly engorged like yours. Since my boy wasn't taking the right, (he used to gag because the let downs were too strong), I would nurse on the left and pump on the right. It work out great because the milk pumped from the right was later used when I returned to work.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't pump for now. Hand express just enough off the fuller side to relieve discomfort. Try to work the smaller side more with your baby. It is actually pretty normal to have one side produce more than the other; in most women, the ductwork is not distributed symmetrically. Pumping will tell your body to make more than is needed and raises risks for plugged ducts/mastitis. Just nurse her on demand, starting on one side until she comes off on her own, offer the other, repeat as necessary. It's usually best to wait until your supply is established and somewhat regulated, about 4-6 weeks, before pumping regularly.
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

It's quite normal to be larger on one side. Yes, even a cup size or a couple of them!

Pumping will exacerbate the problem, so don't overdo. Enough on the full side for bare relief; you can do more on the smaller side.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Yep, this!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Don't pump for now. Hand express just enough off the fuller side to relieve discomfort. Try to work the smaller side more with your baby. It is actually pretty normal to have one side produce more than the other; in most women, the ductwork is not distributed symmetrically. Pumping will tell your body to make more than is needed and raises risks for plugged ducts/mastitis. Just nurse her on demand, starting on one side until she comes off on her own, offer the other, repeat as necessary. It's usually best to wait until your supply is established and somewhat regulated, about 4-6 weeks, before pumping regularly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)