Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lecithin

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have a wicked oversupply and while we can usually manage it ok (no ill effects to the baby) I've had quite a few blocked ducts and one mild case of mastitis early on. For a while I took Lecithin but since going back to work (1 year pp) I haven't taken it and my supply seemed to go a bit down with pumping just twice at work. This weekend though baby wanted to be on the breast all the time but stopped sucking when letdowns occurred. So many letdowns later I got a blocked duct.

I started Lecithin again in hopes of getting rid of it easier. Will it help? I'm starting to stress out now because it doesn't seem to go away with any amount of nursing, pumping, showers, dangle nursing, dangle pumping (lol), massage etc. Do stubborn clogged ducts always turn into mastitis?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Yes, the lecithin should help. It is supposed to thin the milk to prevent clogs, which will prevent the clogs from turning into mastitis.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Is your baby teething? Can you do reclined nursing?
Analugojana
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

No, she's not teething. Just a typical 14 months old, needing cuddles without being hungry. I think she missess me since I started work because as soon as I get home she wants to nurse and cuddle and on the weekends she's all over me without much solid food, which is fine by me. We always nurse reclined; she can manage the flow though when she is hungry and eats.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is your baby teething? Can you do reclined nursing?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Have you been block feeding?
Analugojana
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Yes, and it helped. But now she wants to nurse from both, she switches herself. Maybe just because she can because there's still plenty when she switches and then she comes back - just playing I assume. Most of the days it is not too bad but when she goes into one of her marathon nursings because she wants the comfort I get full (not engorged) by the second day

Quoting aehanrahan: Have you been block feeding?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Oh, yeah. That sounds like a normal toddler.
Analugojana
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Perfectly normal and adorable and she loves her boobies! Hard to manage sometimes my oversupply though because my body responds very quickly to a change in demand. Her nursing for comfort but not removing all that milk is giving me problems. I might need to pump occasionally when that happens to avoid this bloody plugged ducts 'cause they are freaking painful! I'm lazy at home and I always tell myself if I have baby here why would I need to pump? Eh, that's why! Ouuuch!

Quoting aehanrahan: Oh, yeah. That sounds like a normal toddler.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Definitely get back using the lecithin and you might be right about needing to pump once in a while when that happens. ☹
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)