Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding baby pumped milk while at work

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

Today is my first day back at work since having my son 5 weeks ago.  I keep reading that he only needs 1 - 1.25 oz for every hour that I'm away from him.  What do you do if baby acts like they want more than that?

My DH just texted me that our son ate 4 oz just 2 hours after I left and was acting hungry.  DH just gave him the paci and put him in a bouncy chair, but I had actually texted him to feed the baby more.

I just worry so much about baby getting everyhthing he needs and feeling full.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM
The goal is not to make him feel full, just tide him over until you get back. Offer three ounce bottles every 2.5 Hours. make sure it's a slow flow bottle, baby is sitting upright, bottle parallel to the floor and baby is burped after everyounce. He may be pissed when it's gone. Instruct dh to try other ways of soothing for ten to fifteen minutes after the bottle is finished. If baby is still upset offer another ounce.
isaacsmommy68
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM

He more than likely is not hungry, he misses mommy. They will sort it out. Daddy will figure out how to settle him without feeding him.

MinaPR
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My DH overfed my baby too because he didn't know what to do with her, she was just missing mommy, she didn't really want more milk, but all he knows to do is feed her and change her diapers! LOL!! The next day I left the paci, more toys, her bouncy chair and instructed him to try to keep her entertained while I was gone. It worked. Give the baby a few more days to get used to mommy not being with him all the time, he must miss you a lot, but, luckily, they have short term memories and he'll soon get used to spending more time with daddy and less mommy. Believe me, they'll both, baby and daddy will be very happy to see you get home from work!

307mama
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Hmm my DH over feeds too. I leave 4-3oz bottles at daycare. He is there from 8-4. I often come home with one of my bottles. And as soon as we walk in the door baby wants the fresh stuff.
GreenTree11
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM

My daycare over-feeds my daughter :(.  It's very likely that your son misses you and the comfort he gets from nursing. After a few days he should adjust. Good luck! 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Everything they said!^^^
lindsey_25
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thank you all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)