Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OUCH!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, normally when I've had mastitis (or whatever breast pain it is) it comes on gradually and with diligent application of coconut oil it always goes away (except for the time I didn't know that and I went and got antibiotics).

Well, this time I was a little sore and then I woke up the next day with it suddenly so painful I couldn't nurse. It went from super mild all the way to the kind of pain that doesn't go away even after the latch. My first thought wasn't "coconut oil" like normal, my first thought was "doctor!"

But I hate the idea of going in and just getting antibiotics.

I put coconut oil on all day yesterday and it was better and no problem nursing him to sleep, etc. then this morning the same thing as yesterday, but it's even worse where I couldn't even nurse. My 3 year old is luckily able to understand that mama is hurt and so he has to be really gentle and I can't handle it for more than a minute without almost screaming.

I went to put on more coconut oil and I discovered my nipple has a tiny dark spot that appears to probably be a scab. I've never had that before, not even once.

Do you have any advice? I tried to make an appointment with the doctor and they said she left the practice! What the heck? lol

Thanks for reading.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
angelchewning
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

oh no! i agree go see a doctor... antibiotics are mostly very safe for nursing. why dont you want them?

GreenTree11
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I've had several bouts of mastitis, two of which required an antibiotic. My OB told me that once you've had a bad case of it you are more likely to get it again. She gave me some tips to prevent future issues: 

warm compress 5 minutes before feeding/pumping

gentle message

cool compress after feeding/pumping

Analugojana
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

^^ That, and Lecithin,3-4 caps a day when accute, 2 when not. It helps emusify the milk a bit and stop it from sticking to the walls that much.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Is it a blood blister or milk blister? Do you have any signs of mastitis?
Blue_Spiral
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

All I know is that when I went to the doctor before with this exact same feeling they claimed to diagnose it as mastitis. That doesn't really mean much so I don't know.

I read coconut oil was good for thrush so that's why I first tried it when I first experienced this heat and swelling and pain.

I have never had any problems with my breasts at all like cracking or bleeding or blistering or anything like that so I don't know what you mean by a blood blister or a milk blister.

I guess I could post a picture, is that against the rules to do? lol

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM
The breast is hot? Are there any red streaks? Do you have a painful lump? Have you tried dangle nursing? Massaging the breast? Have you read the kellymom page on mastitis? There's information there about milk blisters (also called bleb) too.
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Sounds like there is an infection here, and the coconut oil is like a bandage over a large gaping wound that actualy needs to be stitched. The bandage will help for a little while but the sutures are needed, you know?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)