• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When To Start Giving More Food

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 21 Replies

My baby turned a year on the 19th. We did it! Went a whole year, nine months almost exclusively breastfed w/o a bottle. In the past SO was giving him a  little baby food during the day to let me get some stuff done. He would eat constantly. The last few months very little baby food and just some sample food that we eat.
This is the first baby I nursed to a year. I don't know when I should start giving him "real food" meals instead of nursing. He still doesn't have any teeth yet. We were gonna wait til the baby teeth started coming in. 

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM
At one we stopped nursing before meals. He had been eating regular food since right before seven months though. The rule is milk before food until one. I would start with one meal a day of food to allow his tummy to get used to the solid food, and I wouldn't do baby food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelchewning
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

by no baby food you do mean the jars they sell in stores? or do you mean pureed food in general? could you be a little more specific, im curious as well.

Quoting polkaspots: At one we stopped nursing before meals. He had been eating regular food since right before seven months though. The rule is milk before food until one. I would start with one meal a day of food to allow his tummy to get used to the solid food, and I wouldn't do baby food.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM
We just always offered food we were eating.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM
We don't do either. Purées teach babies to swallow and not chew, to accept more food off a spoon than they need (teaching over eating) and especially the store bought stuff has just about no nutritional value. It's boiled to nothing and mixed with water.

Quoting angelchewning:

by no baby food you do mean the jars they sell in stores? or do you mean pureed food in general? could you be a little more specific, im curious as well.

Quoting polkaspots: At one we stopped nursing before meals. He had been eating regular food since right before seven months though. The rule is milk before food until one. I would start with one meal a day of food to allow his tummy to get used to the solid food, and I wouldn't do baby food.

polkaspots
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I mean no mush that you have to spoon feed. We just gave what we were eating with a few exceptions (honey, seafood...) it's called baby led solids, but it's basically just giving the kid food.

Quoting angelchewning:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

At one offer food then nurse. You don't need baby food. Just put him in his high chair, and cut up some of what you are eating. Put it on his tray. If he eats great, if not, don't worry. Expect a mess! :)

conweis
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

We use to get baby food cause of SO mobility problems, then we stop and just let him taste whatever we were eating.
But he loved pears and raspberry blend.

polkaspots
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Then give him pears and raspberries. Or have him dip slices of pear in puréed raspberries or raspberry flavored yogurt. He could be eating meats and veggies too, not just fruits.

Quoting conweis:

We use to get baby food cause of SO mobility problems, then we stop and just let him taste whatever we were eating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

He tastes everything now. I was just wondering when do I start giving meals instead of just nursing on demand. Like today he had some chilli.

Quoting polkaspots: Then give him pears and raspberries. Or have him dip slices of pear in puréed raspberries or raspberry flavored yogurt. He could be eating meats and veggies too, not just fruits.

Quoting conweis:

polkaspots
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I started giving him meals when I started him on foods, but he still nurses on demand now at almost two. He started with one meal a day and we added another meal every few months. By his first birthday he was eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and then dinner. He nursed before every meal though. His meals were tiny, but he always got his own plate.

Quoting conweis:

He tastes everything now. I was just wondering when do I start giving meals instead of just nursing on demand. Like today he had some chilli.

Quoting polkaspots: Then give him pears and raspberries. Or have him dip slices of pear in puréed raspberries or raspberry flavored yogurt. He could be eating meats and veggies too, not just fruits.

Quoting conweis:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)