Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hi my name is Shelby and my baby girl is 7 days old and I could not get her to latch on so I started to pump and being a first time mom a little confused I am not able to pump every time she needs to eat and my milk supply seems to have cut in half since her birth and I don't know what to do about it. Thanks in advance 

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Welcome to the group, Shelby!
What are the issues you're having with latching? Has she been checked for tongue and lip ties? How often are you pumping? What pump are you using? Exclusively pumping requires pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night. Have you seen an IBCLC?
Mrsjohnson2014
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Okay from what you just said maybe I am not pumping enough I have been pumping like 3 to 4 hours during the day because the baby eats like every 3 hours

Quoting aehanrahan: Welcome to the group, Shelby!
What are the issues you're having with latching? Has she been checked for tongue and lip ties? How often are you pumping? What pump are you using? Exclusively pumping requires pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night. Have you seen an IBCLC?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Yeah, you need to pump more often, even if the baby goes longer because the pump isn't as good at getting the milk as the baby would at the breast. It might be easier to work on getting her on the breast. We can help you troubleshoot the problem and possibly guide you to getting her latching.
Mrsjohnson2014
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Okay I will pump more often and I have tried to get her to latch but she won't go near the breast since I started pumping and thanks for your help I really appreciate it. This mom thing is new to me and I will take all the advice anyone can give me.

Quoting aehanrahan: Yeah, you need to pump more often, even if the baby goes longer because the pump isn't as good at getting the milk as the baby would at the breast. It might be easier to work on getting her on the breast. We can help you troubleshoot the problem and possibly guide you to getting her latching.

Owl_Feather
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

hey mama! your supply is decreasing because you are pumping. Contact your local la leche league for latching assistance!!

Mrsjohnson2014
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Okay thanks

Quoting Owl_Feather:

hey mama! your supply is decreasing because you are pumping. Contact your local la leche league for latching assistance!!

MinaPR
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Lots of water, oatmeal, fenugreek and frequent pumping! Get a good hospital grade pump if you can. Try to find a LLL group so you can go to the meetings. It might not be too late to get baby to latch, I've heard of babies learning to do so even later, so you still have hope! Good luck, it CAN be done!!!!
Mrsjohnson2014
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Thank you I was feeling a bit discouraged but hopefully I can figure all of this out 

Quoting MinaPR: Lots of water, oatmeal, fenugreek and frequent pumping! Get a good hospital grade pump if you can. Try to find a LLL group so you can go to the meetings. It might not be too late to get baby to latch, I've heard of babies learning to do so even later, so you still have hope! Good luck, it CAN be done!!!!

MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I know that right now it seems she doesn't want to breastfeed but these ladies helped me get my son back to the breast after eight full weeks of pumping and bottle feeding.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Just see what happens if you put her on your bare chest (after a feeding). Just lay back in bed or in a recliner or couch. She might instinctively latch and comfort nurse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)