Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does low weight gain mean there's a problem?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM
  • 11 Replies
My baby's diaper count is excellent! She's pooping and peeing like crazy. But she's just not gaining much. At her 4 month appt she had only gained. 3lbs 10oz since birth. Do I just ignore the scale and just be happy with diapers? Or is there a potential issue there?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM
What's her weight history? 3 lbs 10 oz from birth likely means she's gained at least 4 lbs from lowest weight which is right on target.
rjmac88
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Let me grab her baby book

Birth 9.1 mw scale
24 hrs 8.11 mw
6 days 8.15 mw
13 days 9.4 dr scale
3 weeks 9.12 mw
1 month 10.2 mw
6 weeks 11.6 mw
2.5 months 11.9 dr
4 months 12.11 dr
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Perfect, 4 pounds from lowest weight in 4 months. I'd guess the weight dropped even lower than what was recorded at only 24 hours, So even better. :-)
rjmac88
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Ok good! She's just a little one then! I guess I will just enjoy having a small baby for longer

Quoting mostlymaydays: Perfect, 4 pounds from lowest weight in 4 months. I'd guess the weight dropped even lower than what was recorded at only 24 hours, So even better. :-)
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
You're supposed to watch the gain from the lowest weight and she's gained exactly four pounds from the 24 hour weight. She probably lost even more before she started gaining.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter has low weight gain, but plenty of diapers and meets milestones.  She was 7.8lbs at birth, 7.3 is lowest recorded.  She's a week away from being 10 months and weighs 14.8lbs.  She "should" be 17.3 at least....but eh.  She's perfectly healthy so I'm not worried. :)

rjmac88
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
How much should she have gained by 6 months? Just so I know ahead of time? I'm so neurotic about her eating. She's my only EBF baby and I want to stop any problems before they get too bad

Quoting mostlymaydays: Perfect, 4 pounds from lowest weight in 4 months. I'd guess the weight dropped even lower than what was recorded at only 24 hours, So even better. :-)
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It's an average of 1lb per month from lowest weight.

Quoting rjmac88: How much should she have gained by 6 months? Just so I know ahead of time? I'm so neurotic about her eating. She's my only EBF baby and I want to stop any problems before they get too bad

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Allebas
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are doing great! My DD only weighed 5 pounds 5 ounces when she was born! It was b/c I had to take some blood pressure medicine. My OB told me it would not harm her, she would just be a bit smaller than if I didn't take the medicine. Anyway, I don't remember what she got down to, but her Pediatrician was worried she wasn't gaining enough weight and told me I might have to supplement with formula! I was like OH HELL NO!! I took her home and we nursed and nursed and nursed!! In 3 days, she gained 9 ounces! Take THAT Doc! The Pediatrician was shocked she gained so much in just 3 days! My DD is now almost 6-year-old and has never once tasted formula nor has she ever thrown up in her life!! She never even spit up as an infant!! :)  :)  Good luck and I truly hope you don't have to do the formula supplementing! My friend had to do that with her DD. :(  It made my heart break to watch her baby right after drinking a bottle of formula! Her DD pulled her legs up toward her stomach and cried! :(  She never did that when her mom was EBF!!  :( 

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You'll be looking for about 6 pounds from her lowest, so around 14 lbs 11 oz, give or take. An *average* of a pound a month. Some months you'll see more, some no gain, sometimes even a loss from one month to the next.

Quoting rjmac88: How much should she have gained by 6 months? Just so I know ahead of time? I'm so neurotic about her eating. She's my only EBF baby and I want to stop any problems before they get too bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)