• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my milk isn't enough?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 24 Replies
Nurse came and left. Amelia is down to 2935. They are telling me she isn't getting enough. I feed her on the breast as soon as she shows signs of any routing. But they are still telling me I should top up her everyother feeding... she had 2 nickle sized poop in the last 24hr. Yester day she had A masive poop. The size of two twoonies (can two $ coin) they don't go by the poops mean two etc. So to them she only had 6diapers In 24hrs... I said I can try to get her on the breast more. But if she isn't hungry (awake) she isn't going to take it. But they then told me to give her formula then..
But when i wad.supp like they asked me to. She was still lossing weight. ..I phoned the la lach league. But they were busy. So waiting for their call back. I don't want to stop bf....
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Everything seems fine to me. Why are they so concerned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

She's supposed to be losing, it's completely normal.  You have no reason so supplement.

Owl_Feather
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

it's normal for baby to lose a little bit of weight. as long as she is pooping, peeing and not turning yellow there should be no concerns.  You just had the baby (congraaaaats) so your it will take a while for your milk to come in. It is just colostrum which wont be coming out in large amts but your baby will get full from it.. Just continue nursing when baby is hungry. Do you have a birth plan? Just asking because if it states in writing that you are a breastfeed-only patient, they have to listen. Regardless, they cannot force you to supplement. Is there a lactation consultant there?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

How many days old is she now?

pregnantmama105
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
They say she is suppose to be at her birth Weight by two week. I know losing is normal. I but they feel she should be gaining by now... I brought up iv fluids they gave me. But she says it shouldnt be a factor
pregnantmama105
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM
My milk has been in for a while. I have been home for over a week now....

Quoting Owl_Feather:

it's normal for baby to lose a little bit of weight. as long as she is pooping, peeing and not turning yellow there should be no concerns.  You just had the baby (congraaaaats) so your it will take a while for your milk to come in. It is just colostrum which wont be coming out in large amts but your baby will get full from it.. Just continue nursing when baby is hungry. Do you have a birth plan? Just asking because if it states in writing that you are a breastfeed-only patient, they have to listen. Regardless, they cannot force you to supplement. Is there a lactation consultant there?

pregnantmama105
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM
13days

Quoting K8wizzo:

How many days old is she now?

Owl_Feather
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

oh! ok :)

Still it's only been a week or so....give it time! Is she latching on good? 6 wet diapers a day is a good sign of plenty of milk.

Quoting pregnantmama105: My milk has been in for a while. I have been home for over a week now....

Quoting Owl_Feather:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

At this point, they are right, she should be gaining.  Has she been checked for tongue tie, lip tie, and/or high palate?

Quoting pregnantmama105: They say she is suppose to be at her birth Weight by two week. I know losing is normal. I but they feel she should be gaining by now... I brought up iv fluids they gave me. But she says it shouldnt be a factor

pregnantmama105
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
She will be 2 wks tomorrow
She has been latching good the past few days. They are trying to say its my supply. And want me on that medication that starts with d....

Quoting Owl_Feather:

oh! ok :)

Still it's only been a week or so....give it time! Is she latching on good? 6 wet diapers a day is a good sign of plenty of milk.

Quoting pregnantmama105: My milk has been in for a while. I have been home for over a week now....

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)