Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwyd? 9yo asked about BFing

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 16 Replies
A family's friends 9yo DD was at my house today with my sister. Her dad was not here. Right before she left my nursing got hungry and started eating. (He's at that age that when's he's hungry he comes and takes a seat on my lap and goes to town).

She had no idea I was even nursing until she came to give me a hug bye and asked what on earth I was doing.

I told her I was feeding my baby.

Then she asked me how and I said "with my breast." And then I followed up with "this is how a baby that doesn't take a bottle eats."

Now I'm kinda worried her dad (who is a single dad) might get upset.
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conejoazul
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Why would be upset? Just because he's single doesn't mean he would expect other women to be secretive about nursing or that he is uninformed /opposed to it.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Since my kids have been so exposed to nursing it seems strange to me that a 9 year old would be so baffled about mammal behabior. I think you explained it fine. Simple facts, nothing weird. Next time she probably won't bat an eye. Explaining nursing isn't like having a birds and bees talk. He has nothing to be upset over. :-)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
You did exactly the right thing. Just because she has a single father it doesn't mean that her breasts won't someday make milk. Maybe you planted the seed that will encourage her to breastfeed when she's a mom.
iSMILEheCRIES
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Good straight to the point answer. You left room for her to ask questions but apparently you left no questions to answer. My 7 and 8 year old did about the same thing...now I could walk around topless and they would think "milk"
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Exactly this and what everyone else said.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Since my kids have been so exposed to nursing it seems strange to me that a 9 year old would be so baffled about mammal behabior. I think you explained it fine. Simple facts, nothing weird. Next time she probably won't bat an eye. Explaining nursing isn't like having a birds and bees talk. He has nothing to be upset over. :-)
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You did PERFECT. 

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM
You're fine! My oldest thinks it is weird for people to bottlefeed.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I also agree that I think you did fine! :)

Owl_Feather
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Unless you unlatched the baby and showed your breast and the other steps on how it's done (like how baby latches) I doubt the dad will get upset. I don't see why he should. You were only answering her questions afterall and she didnt even know you were nursing until she came into physical contact with you and the baby

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM

ITs not your problem. YOu were honest with a child who was in YOUR hoe and asked a question abut what she was presented with. For all you know she got exactly the amount of information she needed from you and wont even bring it up to her father. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)