Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby led weaning

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
Does anyone have any info on baby led weaning vs making your own purees for baby food? Baby is 6 months old and meets all the requirements for starting solids so we're going to ease into it soon.
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Just offer food you're eating.
MaryJarrett
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM
The researchers found spoon-fed babies were more often obese, although, overall, most of the youngsters in both groups were a healthy weight.

This weight difference remained even after the investigators accounted for other factors that might have influenced the findings, such the baby's birth weight, how long they were breastfed for and whether their parents were rich or poor.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16905371

That's the only link I have on my phone. The study was very small though, and likely refutable so a bigger study is needed, but generally, any time a person is allowed to feed themselves, they'll only eat what they can handle. That said, we do baby led.

Remember to always nurse immediately before solids. And have fun!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
If she can't put food in her own mouth, she's still not quite ready. Purees and spoon feeding are not necessary. Always nurse before solids. Breastmilk should be the main source of calories through the first year.
BellaBlue92
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Thank you! This was very helpful. I was wondering why one would choose to not do purees and other baby food. I'm just scared of him choking, he has one tooth that broke through but it's barely there, in other words he probably can't chew yet.

Quoting MaryJarrett: The researchers found spoon-fed babies were more often obese, although, overall, most of the youngsters in both groups were a healthy weight.

This weight difference remained even after the investigators accounted for other factors that might have influenced the findings, such the baby's birth weight, how long they were breastfed for and whether their parents were rich or poor.

That's the only link I have on my phone. The study was very small though, and likely refutable so a bigger study is needed, but generally, any time a person is allowed to feed themselves, they'll only eat what they can handle. That said, we do baby led.

BellaBlue92
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM
What do you mean by that? He puts anything in his mouth that he gets his hands on lol, but I haven't tried to hand him any food yet. But yes, I'll always nurse before offering solids, thank you :) after the first year though I shouldn't still nurse before offering solids?

Quoting MusherMaggie: If she can't put food in her own mouth, she's still not quite ready. Purees and spoon feeding are not necessary. Always nurse before solids. Breastmilk should be the main source of calories through the first year.
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
You'd be suprised how tough their gums are. My DS2 was gumming chicken and small pieces of steak at 6 months.

Quoting BellaBlue92: Thank you! This was very helpful. I was wondering why one would choose to not do purees and other baby food. I'm just scared of him choking, he has one tooth that broke through but it's barely there, in other words he probably can't chew yet.

Quoting MaryJarrett: The researchers found spoon-fed babies were more often obese, although, overall, most of the youngsters in both groups were a healthy weight.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Next time you eat, take note of which teeth you use to chew.... it's your molars, not your front teeth. Babies don't get molars until eell into their second year of life. They use their gums to chew and mash food. Front teeth are for biting. We gave soft foods or shreds of meat and they did fine.

Quoting BellaBlue92: Thank you! This was very helpful. I was wondering why one would choose to not do purees and other baby food. I'm just scared of him choking, he has one tooth that broke through but it's barely there, in other words he probably can't chew yet.

MaryJarrett
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Choking means they aren't ready. Gagging is normal and part of learning. Purees will just prolong that. The "hard" part is making sure you don't cut things up too big or too small. Molars are for serious chewing, and they don't come in until around a year. The first teeth would be for biting pieces off, not chewing. If you cut the pieces properly, then you're good to go. :)

BellaBlue92
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all for your advice!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)