Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby is tongue tied..

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM
  • 37 Replies
Has anyone dealt with this and have successful breastfeeding after the frenulum is snipped? My baby's doctor referred her to ENT too be snipped. That alone makes me nervous...
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lots of moms and babies have gone through this, and it is well worth it.Left alone it can lead to poor weight gain, sore nipples, swallowing/food texture problems, and speech problems. Look up Dr. Kotlow's website, and the tongue tie group on Facebook. There should also be links to articles in the resources sticky on this forum. You might want to PM.Mama-Smurf--she has dealt with this.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
my suggestion is to clip it. We had so many problems in the beginning. My sons pedi refused to refer us so eventually she started complaining about how thin he was (still is). I always feel pinched while nursing. Then we started having problems with solids. He would gag and throw up at least once a day while eating solids. I'm just praying it doesn't cause a speech problem.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Such a quick and easy procedure! I know several moms who went through this with their babies and all are so glad they got it clipped :-)

There are virtually no nerves or blood vessels in the frenulum so it is not very painful and very little blood. I'm told that it is significantly more painful to get your ears pierced.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

We've seen it so often, and the clipping always helps.

I think I've seen more tongue tie issues than cases of thrush in this group in the past year.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:24 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm actually going Monday to have DS2's clipped. The ENT in my area that did a fabulous job with my DD's tongue, does it in a hospital under general. I know the risks of general on a child but I look at it this way he does it right the first time. I've heard a lot of horror stories of it being done in office and then needing to be redone in a few months. Plus there is no way I could hold my 13 month old still enough, already had to try that just before his 1st bday to start an IV when he swallowed a battery. I have to have him at the hospital for 6:15, I go with them to the recovery room around 8, at 8:15 they take him to the OR and by 8:25 he is back in my arms. It's that quick. Then I can nurse him and as long as he's showing he can swallow and he's ok, I can take him home. I fully expect to be out of there by 9:30 at the latest.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine had a tongue tie and a lip tie. We had it cut at two weeks old. Before bf was a NIGHTMARE. After it was completely painless. It made everything so much easier.
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

DD had her lip tie clipped at age 2 by an oral surgeon under nitrous oxide (stayed awake) and got stiches to help keep it from healing back together. It was quick. She was sore for a few days. It was for the sake of her teeth. I didn't expect nursing to improve since we were doing ok, surprisingly it did improve slightly.

DS also has a lip tie. The oral surgeon doesn't do under 2 years. I had it clipped in office with scissors at an ENT but it healed so fast, despite pulling his lip up to try to keep it seperated. An ENT will use an electric scalpel under general anesthesia to correct it, but I've found a pediatric dentist an hour and a half away that will laser it NOT under general anesthesia. 

I've heard that the way to go is 1) laser 2) not using general anesthesia. I can't share personal experience with this because it hasn't happened yet. It's going to cost us a few hundred.

JamieBue38
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

DD has tongue and lip tie, we're getting it snipped in 2 weeks. Just recently she has shown signs of poor latching, she's 10 months and has to be put under for the procedure. If you have a teeny tiny baby now, I would recommend doing it ASAP. the longer you wait, they'll actually have to knock them out with gas :( I wish I would have done this sooner.

MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally worth it momma makes a world of difference. My DS gained a full lb after he got it clipped at 1. He hadn't had weight gain like that since he was a newborn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was as severely tongue tied. He nursed one time and I knew something was wrong. His tie was cut at 10 days and it made a world of difference and he is still nursing at 2. It was a very simple procedure but very much worth it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)