Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still no period

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:34 AM
  • 7 Replies
I am a little concerned that my period hasn't come back yet. My son was born in September of 2011. He just weaned this November. During the 25 months of nursing i got two periods, one was very light and one i thought maybe i was having a miscarriage it was so awful. That was last spring.

It has been over two months since weaning and i still haven't gotten a period back. Is this normal? I definitely don't mind it being gone but at what point do i worry?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:42 AM
It took me nearly 6 months to get my period back after weaning. Just an fyi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM
I would test just to be sure (because I worry all the time) but it can be completely normal to not get a regular period for months after weaning. Just consider yourself one of the lucky ones lol.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM
I know some people get a couple months after weaning before their periods start back up, but it's curious to me that yours DID start back up in the spring and then stopped. *Usually* we see some crazy irregular stuff, but once you hit that estrogen threshold that triggers your cycles to return it's hard to stomp that back out, even if you triple how much you're breastfeeding. But hormones are wild. Each of us has insanely unique experiences with our periods, pregnancies, breastfeeding, menopause because of how we produce and react to hormones. Even a year after weaning my periods were totally whack. If another month goes by I'd be thinking a doctors visit and some blood work might be in order.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Hormones are wonky I wouldt be too worried but call your doctor just in case

mommaponch
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Quoting MommyO2-6631: I would test just to be sure (because I worry all the time) but it can be completely normal to not get a regular period for months after weaning. Just consider yourself one of the lucky ones lol.

I could test, but I had my tubes tied so I am really hoping this is not the case!  I also have not been puking and that is sign number 1 for me :(

mommaponch
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Quoting mostlymaydays: I know some people get a couple months after weaning before their periods start back up, but it's curious to me that yours DID start back up in the spring and then stopped. *Usually* we see some crazy irregular stuff, but once you hit that estrogen threshold that triggers your cycles to return it's hard to stomp that back out, even if you triple how much you're breastfeeding. But hormones are wild. Each of us has insanely unique experiences with our periods, pregnancies, breastfeeding, menopause because of how we produce and react to hormones. Even a year after weaning my periods were totally whack. If another month goes by I'd be thinking a doctors visit and some blood work might be in order.

I called my doctor and her response was the same "give it about another month and then come in"

I had my annual just a month ago and he didn't notice any issues at that time, but we weren't really looking for this issue either.

When I was nursing my baby prior to my littlest my periods came back during the two and a half years of nursing but it was the same, no rhyme or reason, sometimes it was months between and sometimes it was as little as six weeks. And when she was fully weaned I never went back to clockwork periods but it was fairly regular at roughly a six week cycle. 

I'm not complaining!  I just want to make sure it's healthy :)

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Sounds like your "normal" is predictably unpredictable! :-/

Quoting mommaponch:

Quoting mostlymaydays: I know some people get a couple months after weaning before their periods start back up, but it's curious to me that yours DID start back up in the spring and then stopped. *Usually* we see some crazy irregular stuff, but once you hit that estrogen threshold that triggers your cycles to return it's hard to stomp that back out, even if you triple how much you're breastfeeding. But hormones are wild. Each of us has insanely unique experiences with our periods, pregnancies, breastfeeding, menopause because of how we produce and react to hormones. Even a year after weaning my periods were totally whack. If another month goes by I'd be thinking a doctors visit and some blood work might be in order.

I called my doctor and her response was the same "give it about another month and then come in"

I had my annual just a month ago and he didn't notice any issues at that time, but we weren't really looking for this issue either.

When I was nursing my baby prior to my littlest my periods came back during the two and a half years of nursing but it was the same, no rhyme or reason, sometimes it was months between and sometimes it was as little as six weeks. And when she was fully weaned I never went back to clockwork periods but it was fairly regular at roughly a six week cycle. 

I'm not complaining!  I just want to make sure it's healthy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)