Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And the formula fun begins!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:59 AM
  • 33 Replies
I was at my ob for a checkup and the nurse walks in with a cute little round bag. At first I wasn't sure what it was since she sat it on a chair and walked back out. I finished talking to the dr and when I went to leave, I looked at it and it was a bag full of formula samples and other formula related stuff. I was going to give it back to the nurses and tell them I won't use it and to give it to someone else that needs it, but they were nowhere around. I just left it on their desk.

I'm 28 weeks with baby #4 and only ff for part of 6 weeks with my oldest. I don't even want that stuff in my house "just in case", or to save it and give to someone I know.

Not looking forward to the next 3 months full of formula samples. Glad the pediatrician doesn't talk about formula (unless medically necessary) as she's an IBCLC and also has one in her office.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:00 AM
That sucks. My old OB used to do that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:04 AM
Quoting polkaspots: That sucks. My old OB used to do that too.

My ob himself hasn't said anything about baby feedings or anything. He's more interested in getting me to full term with this annoying event filled pregnancy than anything after delivery. If he asks, I will tell him that this baby will be ebf for as long as he wants to be.
sugarcrisp
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Maybe take it and donate it to food banks?

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:17 AM
My ob didn't do that. He said breast is best. The hospital didn't do it either.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had a different OB for both of my pregnancies, they both asked how baby would be fed, I said breast and it was left at that! :-)

Good thing you already know what you're doing so you won't be sabotaged! I hate formula samples, and feel they should only be given if requested or even offered, but just handing them out to every mom-to-be is like saying "here, this is how your baby is meant to be fed." :-\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:24 AM
5 moms liked this
Honestly, I wouldn't mind living in a world where moms were taught GOOD SOUND info on bringing in a healthy supply and formula was only available through doctors orders. I am not bashing moms who chose formula because they are just a product of our current society that is taught to believe that formula is just as good as mamas milk, or better this is the same society that feels that overprocessed shakes, boxed foods and the like pass for human nutrition. It's not the individual's fault for being uneducated when the marketing out there skews the image of nutrition from the time were born.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to laugh because I haven't bought a single can of formula in 4.5 years and I just got in the mail those single serving/travel packs of toddler formula. The note included even said now that your done breastfeeding it's time to introduce formula to your toddler. DH laughed because as I opened it I was nursing DS2, lol.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

UGH that means they get kickbacks..from now on trust whatever they say about BFing as much as you trust a formula rep

Allebas
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM

With my DD, my OB/GYN KNEW I was bf'ing her. They have two different bags. One if for FF'ing moms and one is for BF'ing moms. My bag had a ton of info on bf'ing, nursing pad samples, nipple cream, etc! I asked my OB/GYN what the FF'ing moms get. She said their bags have one container of formula and coupons for formula, a plastic bottle and nipple.

KristinD1988
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM

My pedi asks me everytime we are there what formula I'm using and every time I said that she is BF. You would think they would write it down or something! And then she says 'Oh, I was going to give you samples.' And I'm not sure what I signed up for or looked at but I must have got over $200 in formula coupons from Similac and gerber as well as actual boxes of samples sent to my house! I don't even know what to do with them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)