Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tired vs. Hungry

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
  • 15 Replies

My DD is about 7-weeks old. I'm still learning her cues. She is awake longer during the day, but then sometimes gets overtired (again, still learning her cues). Any help on distinguising between tired and hungry? She moves her tongue a lot when she is sleepy because she wants to be soothed, so sometimes I get confused. I offer the breast, she will nurse for 3 min or so, and then pass out... but will often be doing the same thing in 10 min or so. I know she is getting enough to eat during feedings, so I'm not worried about that. We use a pacifier on a VERY limited basis (mostly because hubby does not have boobs and that he also needs to be able to soothe her and put her to sleep). She will usually just suck on it for 5 seconds, spit it out, and fall asleep (if it works, othertimes she wants nothing to do with it - we do the same thing with our fingers with often the same results). She sleeps well at night, but not much during the day (working on that - hard now because she is having tummy issues and is uncomfortable). I'm just trying to make it easier for her however possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM
The discomfort and tummy issues say overactive letdown/oversupply to me. Try reclining to nurse; she goes tummy-to-tummy vertically with you, her mouth over rather than under the nipple. As for sleeping, she only needs so much; mine never did take more than one nap a day after six weeks; they co-slept and nursed at night. Kellymom.com is a good source for information about both of these things.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

what type of tummy issues is she having? is it possibly related to dairy in your diet? other than that though, this sounds pretty normal. for me it was easier to let him decide when hes tired or hungry for himself instead of trying to put him on a schedule of some kind. i sort of went by my own little rule of 3: change the diaper, offer the boob, lay down with him and see if he naps. I knew ONE of those three was bound to be what he wanted. and dont feel bad for not knowing her cues yet. it took me like 3 full months and even now (6mo) sometimes i get it wrong! its not our fault, we just dont speak 'baby babbles'!

stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I really think it was dairy. I had eliminated it and just tried to add some back to my diet (stupid cheese). I know some say eating dairy will not affect the baby, but it is the only thing I did differently - and I know it upset her when I ate alfredo in the past. I think some cheese items have added milk proteins that, in excess, affect the baby's tummy (i use creamer in my morning coffee, and that does not seem to have an effect).

I had some issues with overactive letdown a few weeks ago and remedied that by nursing semi-upright with the football hold. This is how I feed at night, which is when she tends to get more than a mouthfull. Once I did that things had been really good... until the cheese... or the vitamin drops I started giving her. I do have a good supply and try to only nurse on one side at a time if I can.

*sigh* I just dislike not knowing and thinking I'm doing something to "hurt" my DD.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Just a learning process. Sometimes dd likes to jjust suck. Other times kind of bounced while sucking. Other times I realize she pooped and I didn't hear or smell it. My dd doesn't like to be muddy for more than a minute. Lol who would. Sometimes she has gas and I put her on her back and pump her legs. I used to have a routine of things I'd try, reattach, pump or bicycle legs then burp. Then check for a poop. Sometimes before checking the poop I'd try to reattach her. You'll get it.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
What vitamin drops are you giving her? The only thing she may possibly need is Vitamin D. If you're giving her anything with added iron, that's your culprit for the tummy discomfort.
If your daughter was having issues with milk protein, you wouldn't be able to drink the creamer in your coffee.

Quoting stepho-mitcho:

I really think it was dairy. I had eliminated it and just tried to add some back to my diet (stupid cheese). I know some say eating dairy will not affect the baby, but it is the only thing I did differently - and I know it upset her when I ate alfredo in the past. I think some cheese items have added milk proteins that, in excess, affect the baby's tummy (i use creamer in my morning coffee, and that does not seem to have an effect).

I had some issues with overactive letdown a few weeks ago and remedied that by nursing semi-upright with the football hold. This is how I feed at night, which is when she tends to get more than a mouthfull. Once I did that things had been really good... until the cheese... or the vitamin drops I started giving her. I do have a good supply and try to only nurse on one side at a time if I can.

*sigh* I just dislike not knowing and thinking I'm doing something to "hurt" my DD.

MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I agree with stepconfused... it's likely the vitamin drops. Even certain kinds of vitamin d drops upset my sons tummy... enfamil brand to be exact.
stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The drops do have iron...

I'll cut that out again and see. I had stopped it before because I wasn't sure if it had upset her. Also, we live in FL and try to get a good 30min walk in during the afternoons for some fresh air and Vitamin D (although not recently as it has been very cold).

I just contacted someone from the "local" LLL. Hopefully that will help. The meetings are further away than I'd prefer at this time.

nicole2884
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM
My daughter has a slight difference incries
However I know she wants to eat ever 3 hours so that helps

Do you have the mommies milk app that well remind you when to feed her
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Based on your post from the other group, I am pretty confident in saying that between the gas drops, gripe water and iron that you're giving her, she probably does have an upset tummy. She doesn't need any of that stuff and it's just causing more trouble for both of you. Just give her your breastmilk. When she fusses, offer the breast. You don't need a clock or app telling you when to feed her. She will let you know. Continue treating your OAL and let her nap whenever and wherever she wants. It's pretty early for any type of schedule. You have plenty of time for that.

Quoting stepho-mitcho:

The drops do have iron...

I'll cut that out again and see. I had stopped it before because I wasn't sure if it had upset her. Also, we live in FL and try to get a good 30min walk in during the afternoons for some fresh air and Vitamin D (although not recently as it has been very cold).

I just contacted someone from the "local" LLL. Hopefully that will help. The meetings are further away than I'd prefer at this time.

stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM
okay. But my confusion about tired or hungry still persists somewhat. If I have an overabundance and feed her frequently because I think she is hungry instead of tired will she then get too much foremilk too frequently and then get an upset stomach?
My letdown is no longer so forceful that she chokes...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)