Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coconut Oil

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM
  • 16 Replies

I'm going to try using coconut oil to increase my supply.  Has anyone done this?  Any suggestions on the best way to coconut oil in your diet daily?  I know you can cook with it but I'm looking for other options.  I've read that 3 tbsp a day can increase supply but I would rather not try and just stomach 3 tbsp of straight oil.  Sounds disguisting...

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I hadn't heard of coconut oil for increasing milk supply but I use it for everything else. :-) Are you running into an actual supply problem or are you planning to go above and beyond pumping extra?
Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you ever heard of buttered coffee??

It's a paleo thing. using a blender, blend your coffee with your butter (or in your case coconut oil) use about a tablespoon to start. I like it.. not enough to do it every day, but it's good. I've had people tell me they cant drink their coffee without it being blended like this.

I also like to bake with it, pretty much in everything that calls for oil that is sweet... cookies, pancakes, waffles, cake, quick breads, etc.

Eternity807
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I'm not pumping enough at work to keep up with what my daughter is eating at day care.  I am hoping to increase my supply to keep up.  I have also started pumping at night after she goes to bed but she nurses right before bed so I only get an additional ounce at this time.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM
I put it in my cocoa, coffee, soup, stew, hot cereal. What supply issues are you having?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM
She should only be getting 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, fed in bottles of 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. More than this is overfeeding. Pump before, during or after the first morning feed, every day, working or not. Pump every three hours when you're not with her. Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com and print a copy for your caregiver. Normal pump output from both breasts combined per session is .5-2 ounces.
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM
I haven't used it, but noticed Sam's Club is selling Virgin Coconut Oil soft gels.. It might be easier to add as a supplement in order to get a "daily dose".
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM
How many ounces are you pumping and how many is she taking? Have you tried to pump first thing in the morning? Most moms get their highest yield first pump of the day.

Quoting Eternity807:

I'm not pumping enough at work to keep up with what my daughter is eating at day care.  I am hoping to increase my supply to keep up.  I have also started pumping at night after she goes to bed but she nurses right before bed so I only get an additional ounce at this time.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

How much is she getting at daycare? As noted above., it should be NO MORE tan 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So for an eight hour day, that's ten ounces total, in servings of about 2-3 ounces. If the caregiver is feeding at a rate higher than that, then baby is being overfed. Baby is not to be fed into a stupor. If the caregiver needs to feed to calm and can't manage it any other way, time for a new caregiver.

Eternity807
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I am usually gone for 10 hours.  She eats immediately before drop up and immediately upon pickup.  I am pumping twice a day at work (all we are allowed) and lucky if I can get 3 ounces each pump.

Quoting gdiamante:

How much is she getting at daycare? As noted above., it should be NO MORE tan 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So for an eight hour day, that's ten ounces total, in servings of about 2-3 ounces. If the caregiver is feeding at a rate higher than that, then baby is being overfed. Baby is not to be fed into a stupor. If the caregiver needs to feed to calm and can't manage it any other way, time for a new caregiver.

angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

you are full time I take it so you get a mid morning break, a lunch break, and an afternoon break by law (not just nursing moms, but everyone) right?

I use any break afforded to me by law for pumping. I eat lunch at my desk while i work. I get those breaks by law regardless so noone can tell me what I am allowed to do during them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)