Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's been awhile lol

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

It's been eight years since I've bf and it wasn't for very long because he diagnosed with severe GERD at a month old., and we had to change him to special formula. But just a few questions; 

When to pump? Is pumping always necessary?

Do,any of you moms freeze your milk for future uses?

Any other advice is welcomed thanks 

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM

are you a SAHM or a working mom?

Momtoboys940
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Working

angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Then pumping will most likely be a necessity for you. I am a Full time working mom and im away from DS about 9hrs each day (including commute). I pump at least every time DS gets a bottle, so 3 times during the work day, and I also pump first thing in the morning before I shower and wake and nurse the baby. whatever I pump each day is what DS gets in his bottles the next day and only 2-4oz in each bottle (4oz is on the HIGH side)

I DO use freezer bags. I use lansinoh bags and i only put enough in each bag for 1 bottle. but i leave my freezer stash in tact in case of emergency. after its been in the freezer for about 4 months i start using the frozen milk to give to his nanny for feedings and replace it with fresh pumped milk so I always have a stash on hand and the frozen milk wont go bad on me (its good for up to 6 months).

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Quoting Momtoboys940:

It's been eight years since I've bf and it wasn't for very long because he diagnosed with severe GERD at a month old., and we had to change him to special formula. But just a few questions; 

When to pump? Is pumping always necessary?

If you're working, yes. Start two weeks before you go back, pumping once a day in the morning WHILE nursing.

Do,any of you moms freeze your milk for future uses?

I rarely had enough to freeze. You don't need a big stash. Enough for your first day back is plenty.

Any other advice is welcomed thanks 

Since you had a GERD issue before, I want to note that GERD is often misdiagnosed. Most of the GERD issues we've seen with newborns are actually overactive letdown; mom's flow is so forceful that baby can choke at the breast and spit up. Lots of info about this on kellymom.com. The VAST majority of alleged GERD cases are actually a letdown issue that's easily fixed with a simple position change.

The second biggest problem with GERD is that the doctors miss dairy sensitivity. You'll find info from kellymom on this as well. 

Both of these problems are typically missed by doctors.

Momtoboys940
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Unfortunately his was GERD he had to have a stomach wrap at 6weeks old, they done a study on his reflux and he had 34 episodes of reflux in 24 hours. Poor baby's esophagus was severely inflammated :-(

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Ow, poor baby!

Just wanted to give you the heads up in case. We've seen too many moms get mislead.

Quoting Momtoboys940:

Unfortunately his was GERD he had to have a stomach wrap at 6weeks old, they done a study on his reflux and he had 34 episodes of reflux in 24 hours. Poor baby's esophagus was severely inflammated :-(

Momtoboys940
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Thank you for the heads up :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)