Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Led Solids

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ive been doing a lot of research on KellyMom about it and some of it is kind of conflicting. Especially when it comes to size and texture of the food given. Some say to give large chunks of items (size of baby's fist) so he can chew off pieces as he wants for things like pears or squash or broccoli (things that are still soft but not mushy like ,say, banana). others say to lightly mash things so he can grab and self feed before he has the pincer grasp but is able to chew and swallow.

Anyone have more first hand experience who has a good consistent method?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I start with small mushy pieces and work up to bigger pieces.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:23 PM
One of the signs of showing they are ready for solids is having the pincer grasp so I wouldn't worry about mashing anything.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

see this is what I mean, most of the articles im reading off the website say Pincer grasp is not needed to start baby led solids...its becoming frustrating. DS will be 6 months on the 11th and sits up with support, has excellent head control, put objects directly into his mouth, reaches and grabs anything within reach. I havent tried anything yet but im in "getting ready" mode.

Quoting shortyali: One of the signs of showing they are ready for solids is having the pincer grasp so I wouldn't worry about mashing anything.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM
This site is by and IBCLC. This is what I would go by before much else: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
Baby can sit up well without support.
Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
Baby is ready and willing to chew.
Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Thank you for the resource!

Quoting shortyali: This site is by and IBCLC. This is what I would go by before much else: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
Baby can sit up well without support.
Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
Baby is ready and willing to chew.
Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM
We did pieces about the size of a pea once Nathan was 6 months, able to sit on his own (not necessarily for long periods of time, just that he could stay ina sit for a while before he fell over) and was working on the finger thing.... pincer grasp won't be perfected at 6 months, but they should be attempting it.
polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Honestly, we used different methods for different foods and started in between six and seven months. He wouldn't touch anything that was slimy or crumby, so he used a fork for those things like fruit and breaded chicken. Some foods were cut bigger than others. DH makes French fries a lot, and we didn't cut them up to give to the little one. Peas and corn are tiny. Most of the time I never made any meals specifically for the baby since I've always had myself to feed as well. That's how I did it with both kids, but dd was not much of a food eater until she was older. She preferred purees.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I have done both. I may be eating an apple and my baby may try and grab it to taste (after 6 months of course), or i have given small pieces of banana or something like that (usually much later only because my kids werent quite ready at 6 months)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)