Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to stop breastfeeding cold turkey?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM
  • 20 Replies

This sounds a bit cruel to me but i need to cut the breastfeeding as soon as possible. My son is 17 months old. He has been breasfed since the day he was born. No bottles, no nothing. Only mommy's milk. Now i have to take medication and the doctor said i have to wean in order to take my meds. This is not going to happen from one day to the other. How do I do it? This is my third and only child i have breastfed. He has no signs of weaning. What do I do? I need to start my medication.

Edit:

My son is just starting to eat food. Breasmilk is is source of main nutrition. He doesnt like cows milk. I havent tried any other milks like almond or coconuts, soy. I dont know what to do. This is really hard.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
What medication is it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM
what's the medication?? most meds you can actually breastfeed while taking it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM

What is the name of the medication?  There are actually very few meds that you cannot breastfeed on.

Otherwise, weaning should not be done cold turkey because of the danger to you, and weaning of any kind will be hard on your child. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM
What medication is it? Most meds are safe and most docs are misinformed.
betsy9023
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Is a cholesterol medicine called Crestor.

Quoting K8wizzo: What medication is it? Most meds are safe and most docs are misinformed.
betsy9023
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM
My cholesterol is very high. I tried the natural way to lower my cholesterol but my doc wasn't happy about it so he prescribed me Crestor to help me lower it down.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Unless you like pain. DON'T. This is not for the baby's sake but for YOURS.

Quoting betsy9023:

This sounds a bit cruel to me but i need to cut the breastfeeding as soon as possible. My son is 17 months old. He has been breasfed since the day he was born. No bottles, no nothing. Only mommy's milk. Now i have to take medication and the doctor said i have to wean in order to take my meds.

I've yet to read the thread but most meds are quite safe. DOCS DON"T KNOW! I'll need to read the thread.

This is not going to happen from one day to the other. How do I do it? This is my third and only child i have breastfed. He has no signs of weaning. What do I do? I need to start my medication.

If it's truly a med you need to take, estrogen will have you dry by Friday.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM

OK, Crestor IS one of the few you cannot take while breastfeeding.

We always have to ask because really there are VERY few meds you can't take. Call your doc and get put on YAZ today. It's a known supply killer. You'll be dry Friday. 

Quoting betsy9023: Is a cholesterol medicine called Crestor.

Quoting K8wizzo: What medication is it? Most meds are safe and most docs are misinformed.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM

http://anikamd.com/breastfeeding/rosuvastatin.htm   

This has other drug options to consider instead, if you'd like to continue nursing. 

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Crestorhasn't been studied, but Dr hale is pretty confident it will be fine. According to his forum, he was supposed to begin since studies in 2012.... Maybe call infant risk and see if there's any up-to-date info?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)