Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pumping & breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
Anyone have experience with this? I'm going back to school part time in february, 3 days a week for 4 hours. Other than that I'm a sahm. We ebf buy daudaughter will go to daycare and I was wondering how many times a day I should pump? I only get about 3 oz right now when I do pump. Ill only be away from her her about 5 hours. She turned a month old January 1.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

With as little as you'll be gone, one pump in the middle of your shift will do it. Might even be more than enough. She'll need only one feeding in that time. Nurse before you leave, nurse the instant you get back. She might not take a thing while you're gone.

awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Pump before you nurse her or you won't get anything when you try to pump. Its odd but when you pump first and then nurse your body knows its the baby and you will produce more milk. I also would wait the full 4 hours. Also to stock up on the milk get up like and hour before baby and pump for a few weeks. This should get you a nice stash to get started with.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Quoting awesomemommy2: Pump before you nurse her or you won't get anything when you try to pump.
Even better... pump WHILE you nurse. It's much more efficient.
Its odd but when you pump first and then nurse your body knows its the baby and you will produce more milk. I also would wait the full 4 hours. Also to stock up on the milk get up like and hour before baby and pump for a few weeks. This should get you a nice stash to get started with.

Yeah... but don't worry about a big stash. One day's pumping = next day's feeding. Big stashes can encourage overfeeding so beware. And look up the info on bottlefeeding the breastfed baby on kellymom.com.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM
I agree with Gina. Your baby will only one bottle of 2-3 ounces while you're gone. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)