Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Suggestions for smooth weaning/transitions?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:59 AM
  • 5 Replies

I want to wean my daughter.

She's 21 months (nearly), and she bfs first thing in the morning and last thing at night before bed. I was planning to let her self wean , however it's starting to make life difficult.

I work 3 evenings a week, and don't get home to nearly 10pm. She's looked after by dh, and whilst she is perfectly happy, she will not go to bed until I'm home and she gets her 'mulk'. This is turn means she is over tired and grumpy the next day (when I'm here she goes to sleep about 7ish), and wants to nap which then stops her sleeping that night etc - it just doesn't work with our family routines (I have two older kids who need to be in school by 8.30am.

The way I see it, I have two options - either I leave her to self wean and deal with it in the mean time, or I force her to go cold turkey, and assume she'll adjust reasonably quickly - but having seen her distress when I delay her bedtime because something else is going on here, I know it's not going to be fun!

If anyone has any transitional suggestions or other help, then please tell me!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

- Dr Suess

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Shorten the nighttime feeding by one minute each day. You can do that by telling her one more twinkle twinkle, singing the song and gently unlatching her at the end. Eventually, you can sing and cuddle while rubbing her back and then have dh do the same.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly what wizzo said. I also would not allow her to sleep late in the daytime or to take naps; I'd have her up with the same methods used in infancy.

HopeAlive
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM

First of all, she's so cute!! I hear where you're coming from. I found this article that I'm hoping will give you some good insights and advice. :)

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You can use dr jay Gordon's night weaning but I would just let her self wean or set limits. Definitely not cold turkey

juniebug11
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM
We this makes me sad reading!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN