Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Raspberry Ketones?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

My DH thinks these will help him loose weight.  I keep telling him that just because he can eat 3 Bic Macs in one sitting doesnt mean he needs to or should but hey what do I know.  We are both bigger people but he can loose weight just by cutting out soda and cutting back on starches.  For example a few years ago we both tried out the South Beach diet and in the first 2 weeks of that he lost 20lbs, I lost maybe 2.  We both are wanting to eat healthier and eat out less but lately he snubs his nose at everything I make or just says it doesnt sound good so now our 2 older ones follow his lead and its a struggle to get them to eat dinner.  We have had talks about this and hes agreed to at least try the food I cook before jumping to lets go out to eat (Besides the fact my work contract was extended to April but there isnt a guarantee that it will go beyond that).

Now to my question, lol.  He just started taking these and he wants me to also.  So "we can loose weight together." Im pretty sure I read somewhere that you cant take those while nursing.  DS2 is 13 months old with no end in sight and DH's response is just wean him and then we can do this.  Not going to wean him to take some magic weight loss pills, I would rather just watch how much I eat and do it that way.

Does anyone have any links showing if that is safe while nursing or not?  I know the bottle says not while nursing but my prenatals say that too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Check the forums at the infant risk center. My gut says no and research I've read says they don't work, but placebo effect may help him. I wouldn't take them, just eat healthy and exercise.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:22 AM
http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?814-Raspberry-Ketone
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:23 AM
http://www.webmd.com/diet/raspberry-ketones-uses-risks
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Thank you K8wizzo
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Quoting shortyali:

My DH thinks these will help him loose weight. 

They won't. My DH tried 'em. He put on more after.

I keep telling him that just because he can eat 3 Bic Macs in one sitting doesnt mean he needs to or should but hey what do I know. 

Then he can take it from me; my husband used to eat two Big Macs and a whole half-gallon of ice cream. You eat that much, you WILL gain weight.

We are both bigger people but he can loose weight just by cutting out soda and cutting back on starches. 

Yep.

For example a few years ago we both tried out the South Beach diet and in the first 2 weeks of that he lost 20lbs, I lost maybe 2.  We both are wanting to eat healthier and eat out less but lately he snubs his nose at everything I make or just says it doesnt sound good

Then he can feed himself. You feed YOU and the kids.

so now our 2 older ones follow his lead and its a struggle to get them to eat dinner.  We have had talks about this and hes agreed to at least try the food I cook before jumping to lets go out to eat (Besides the fact my work contract was extended to April but there isnt a guarantee that it will go beyond that).

Then rap him on the skull for me and tell him he needs medication for his Y Chromosome Defect. NO GOING OUT!

Now to my question, lol.  He just started taking these and he wants me to also.  So "we can loose weight together." Im pretty sure I read somewhere that you cant take those while nursing. 

Eh... you shouldn't take them PERIOD. Nursing or no. Just refuse on the grounds THEY DO NOT WORK.

DS2 is 13 months old with no end in sight and DH's response is just wean him and then we can do this.  Not going to wean him to take some magic weight loss pills, I would rather just watch how much I eat and do it that way.

Do it.

Does anyone have any links showing if that is safe while nursing or not?  I know the bottle says not while nursing but my prenatals say that too.

Nope. Just experience. In fact, the ketones may be contributing to your husband's Y Chromosome Defect; I remember mine got particularly idiotic when he was on them. It's a sad thing to see for a man who has a 130 IQ.

Oh... and while he lost some weight for a few weeks, within a month he gained it all BACK and added another ten pounds on top.

See your doc for an eating plan. Or go on weight watchers.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM
That's what I told him but that Y chromosome has thickened his skull. Told him to have fun and I'll do this my way.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting shortyali:

My DH thinks these will help him loose weight. 

They won't. My DH tried 'em. He put on more after.

I keep telling him that just because he can eat 3 Bic Macs in one sitting doesnt mean he needs to or should but hey what do I know. 

Then he can take it from me; my husband used to eat two Big Macs and a whole half-gallon of ice cream. You eat that much, you WILL gain weight.

We are both bigger people but he can loose weight just by cutting out soda and cutting back on starches. 

Yep.

For example a few years ago we both tried out the South Beach diet and in the first 2 weeks of that he lost 20lbs, I lost maybe 2.  We both are wanting to eat healthier and eat out less but lately he snubs his nose at everything I make or just says it doesnt sound good

Then he can feed himself. You feed YOU and the kids.

so now our 2 older ones follow his lead and its a struggle to get them to eat dinner.  We have had talks about this and hes agreed to at least try the food I cook before jumping to lets go out to eat (Besides the fact my work contract was extended to April but there isnt a guarantee that it will go beyond that).

Then rap him on the skull for me and tell him he needs medication for his Y Chromosome Defect. NO GOING OUT!

Now to my question, lol.  He just started taking these and he wants me to also.  So "we can loose weight together." Im pretty sure I read somewhere that you cant take those while nursing. 

Eh... you shouldn't take them PERIOD. Nursing or no. Just refuse on the grounds THEY DO NOT WORK.

DS2 is 13 months old with no end in sight and DH's response is just wean him and then we can do this.  Not going to wean him to take some magic weight loss pills, I would rather just watch how much I eat and do it that way.

Do it.

Nope. Just experience. In fact, the ketones may be contributing to your husband's Y Chromosome Defect; I remember mine got particularly idiotic when he was on them. It's a sad thing to see for a man who has a 130 IQ.

Oh... and while he lost some weight for a few weeks, within a month he gained it all BACK and added another ten pounds on top.

See your doc for an eating plan. Or go on weight watchers.

Corinnesingh
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM

no its not safe... my sil wanted to take them, her ob told her they r loaded with caffine i believe or have the effwect... ill ask and come back and tell you, but i am sure its not ok, from what her ob says

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:15 PM
You need to change your lifestyle, not just a quick diet, you will gain back plus some.

Try drinking lemon water when you wake up and eat within two hours after waking up. Eat more protein, fruits and veggies and cut back on sugar and starches and dairy. Add healthy fats, like coconut oil, avocado, ghee, flaxseed oil, cold pressed olive oil. Stay away from.vegetable oil, canola oil etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN