Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OT teething necklace scam

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 25 Replies

I tried very hard to research and get a good necklace. I didn't see much improvement in my son so I haven't used it much, but when I finally pulled it out of the diaper bag one of the beats had broken off but the string was still intact. This has got to mean it was fake right?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:56 AM

No.

What kind of necklace is it?  The amber teething necklaces can break.  One way to test them is to heat up a needle and pierce a bead.  If it smells like plastic it is fake.  :)  

Keep the necklace on him.  I got one for my son last year and he wore it all the time.  He was a bear when teething and I thought the necklace was pretty much worthless.  Then it broke.  The first night without it was no different then with it.  . . . But, OH MY GOODNESS.  I wish I had the bear back.  He does not handle teething well AT ALL!!!  It WAS working.  Ha ha.  Learned my lesson.

The amber is absorbed into the skin.  I'm guessing if you take it on and off then it doesn't have sufficient time to 'work' and help with the pain.  

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully morrocanmommy will drop in and tell you how she tests her beads. We bought out necklace from her and it has worked extremely well. He's currently cutting four teeth and you'd never know it. He is a little fussy, but not meltdown fussy like my first was while teething.
md517
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM
What's a teething necklace?
Edenpeden
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Im sorry, yes it was an amber teething necklace. I've been up since four with my son. Which is why I broke the necklace out.

Quoting micheledo:

No.

What kind of necklace is it?  The amber teething necklaces can break.  One way to test them is to heat up a needle and pierce a bead.  If it smells like plastic it is fake.  :)  

Keep the necklace on him.  I got one for my son last year and he wore it all the time.  He was a bear when teething and I thought the necklace was pretty much worthless.  Then it broke.  The first night without it was no different then with it.  . . . But, OH MY GOODNESS.  I wish I had the bear back.  He does not handle teething well AT ALL!!!  It WAS working.  Ha ha.  Learned my lesson.

The amber is absorbed into the skin.  I'm guessing if you take it on and off then it doesn't have sufficient time to 'work' and help with the pain.  

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to have it on him for quite awhile for it to start working well, the oils have to be absorbed into his skin.

The string is not supposed to break, that would pose a choking hazard, the necklace is meant to stay intact in case a bead breaks. 

Edenpeden
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I just don't like leaving it on him at night. Plus the beads make little indents from his fat neck swallowing them up...I feel bad and have never left them on more than a day. Do you know a ballpark amount of time for an effect?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

You need to have it on him for quite awhile for it to start working well, the oils have to be absorbed into his skin.

The string is not supposed to break, that would pose a choking hazard, the necklace is meant to stay intact in case a bead breaks. 

Edenpeden
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM

The one I have is a Baltic Amber teething necklace. Supposedly there's a mild analgesic effect when worn on the skin, many say it helps with their babies teething pain.

Quoting md517: What's a teething necklace?

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM

A couple of hours I would imagine.  I'm not sure.  My daughter wears her necklace 24/7 and has since 6 months old.

Quoting Edenpeden:

I just don't like leaving it on him at night. Plus the beads make little indents from his fat neck swallowing them up...I feel bad and have never left them on more than a day. Do you know a ballpark amount of time for an effect?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Edenpeden
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I've done twenty four hours and had a horrible sleepless night while he was wearing it.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

A couple of hours I would imagine.  I'm not sure.  My daughter wears her necklace 24/7 and has since 6 months old.

Quoting Edenpeden:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

littlemonaghan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM
It took about 24 hours to see a difference in my dd but we put the necklace on her at 5 months old. I took it off at night time for about a month until I slowly started forgetting.
She wore it 24/7 apart from bath time until she was just over 2 years old.
Teething was a breeze

Quoting Edenpeden:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN