Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't know who to ask...

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi all! I know I don't post in here much. I mainly lurk, but I need some help.

The last couple of days my areolas have been prety sore. I figured it was more "nip-lash" (ya know when baby rips off the nipple because of distraction? OUCH!) Anyway, they are now being irritated by my clothing. When looking at my nipple area, my areolar glands are a bright red color. The rest of the nipple looks healthy.

Babe has also gotten a pretty nasty diaper rash that looks like bright red spots with white heads.

Is this a variation of thrush? Is it something else that someone knows about?

TIA!

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this
What you're describing sounds very much like yeast on your nipples. Look up thrush on kellymom.com for tips on treatment protocols.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mostlymaydays: What you're describing sounds very much like yeast on your nipples. Look up thrush on kellymom.com for tips on treatment protocols.

I second this.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

angelchewning
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

what they said. it can get really nasty and painful quickly if left untreated. BTW I like your word: "nip-lash"

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
When we had thrush my nipples were bright pink and burned like someone had blowtorched me. My dd's mouth was also totally white and she ended uup with the bad rash that looked like a scald. I used gentian violet on dd and myself and gynelotrimin on her bottom.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I agree with above. Acidic stuff kills yeast .sugars feed them. So garlic, lemon. Vinegar, probiotics and plain.yogurt. (consuming and applying). Stay away from sugar as best you can. Try and air out the diaper rash, keep it dry and you can even apply probiotics or plain yogurt, or vinegar washes on the diaper area
sj3starz
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM
I do have some acv in the house. I suppose that would help! Thanks for the idea. :-)

Quoting Precious333: I agree with above. Acidic stuff kills yeast .sugars feed them. So garlic, lemon. Vinegar, probiotics and plain.yogurt. (consuming and applying). Stay away from sugar as best you can. Try and air out the diaper rash, keep it dry and you can even apply probiotics or plain yogurt, or vinegar washes on the diaper area
sj3starz
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Thanks. It was stolen from a meme thing on fb. Haha

Quoting angelchewning:

what they said. it can get really nasty and painful quickly if left untreated. BTW I like your word: "nip-lash"

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.
Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, and inside of cheeks.
Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.
sj3starz
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM
I heard recently that those that use GV have an increased cancer risk. I'll have to look up more info, as I've never gotten thrush before so I haven't paid much attention until recently.

Thanks for the advice though! I was always wondering where people get GV. If I decide to use it, now I know!

Quoting Junebaby18:

Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.

Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.

Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, and inside of cheeks.

Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Acv works on so much! Yes, use that too!

Quoting sj3starz: I do have some acv in the house. I suppose that would help! Thanks for the idea. :-)

Quoting Precious333: I agree with above. Acidic stuff kills yeast .sugars feed them. So garlic, lemon. Vinegar, probiotics and plain.yogurt. (consuming and applying). Stay away from sugar as best you can. Try and air out the diaper rash, keep it dry and you can even apply probiotics or plain yogurt, or vinegar washes on the diaper area
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)