Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pacifiers

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM
  • 36 Replies

Hi ladies,

I'm new to this group, still pregnant with my first but planning on breastfeeding.  I'm wondering your thoughts on pacifiers.  Pretty much every baby I know has a binky in its mouth half the time, but I don't really see the point of pacifiers.  Wouldn't it be better for a baby to learn to stop fussing or sleep without needing some sort of aid?  What did mothers do before pacifiers were invented?  I myself was a thumb-sucker, which of course isn't good once teeth come in, but doesn't thumb-sucking just go to show that babies can soothe themselves?  It probably sounds like I'm trying to make a point against pacifiers, but I'm honestly just questioning their real purpose.  If you all think it is better to use pacifiers, I will certainly take that into consideration when I do my baby registry and after she is born.  What are your thoughts?  Thanks!

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Pacifiers are mom replacement devices, nothing more, nothing less. They replace the breast. Before pacifiers, moms used the breast.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM
I use a pacifier but it's called my nipple :) It's up to you, really. It can cause a bad latch with some babies, but not all. Babies like to comfort suck a lot, so if it bothers you that it's on your nipple, then you can try a pacifier.
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM
I know Im going to get bashed, but there was a study done recently, can't find it now, that found some surprising results. It appeared that pacifiers actually encouraged breastfeeding.

My babies never liked them anyways. So, I have no personal expetience with it myself.
BlessingsMama
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I don't think they're necessary. Plenty of mothers have used them and they've not interfered with nursing. My oldest used one from 4-5 weeks to 5 months old. My youngest has never had one. They're 7 months old and 2 (3 in March) and both still breastfeeding. 

Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Used them with my first- she nursed till 17 months. My 2nd is 5 months old and isn't quite as into them as my first but uses them occasionally. No nursing problems with her either. Both started using them week 1. I know they don't work for everyone but they've worked for us 😊
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:50 PM
I read that. I might be wrong but I want to say mamasmurf posted it.

Quoting LadyBugMom09: I know Im going to get bashed, but there was a study done recently, can't find it now, that found some surprising results. It appeared that pacifiers actually encouraged breastfeeding.

My babies never liked them anyways. So, I have no personal expetience with it myself.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Only one of my 4 took a pacifier. She nursed for 2 years with no issues, other than I started to suspect the pacifier was giving her an open bite. I've got mixed feelings about them. I don't think they're evil but they sure aren't necessary and sucking on anything other than the breast can cause latch problems so it's something to watch for. I also worry that newborns who are constantly sucking to bring in mom's supply will be given pacifiers instead and then mom might really develop a supply problem.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
I can't find the post in our group but I found the referenced article:

http://m.today.com/moms/no-more-nipple-confusion-study-says-pacifiers-may-help-breast-743227

Quoting LadyBugMom09: I know Im going to get bashed, but there was a study done recently, can't find it now, that found some surprising results. It appeared that pacifiers actually encouraged breastfeeding.

pregnantmama105
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM
My kids never took them. Ds was ff. And dd is bf.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM

i used a paci for DS but not before BF was WELL established. he liked it for very short periods of time. he was never given it at bedtime (he shouldnt need help to sleep) and now at 6mo he wont even think about taking it.

If i had to do it over again i wouldnt change a thing... it never replaced a feeding, it never became a substitute, but it helped satisfy his urge to suck when it was truly unnecessary to nurse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN