Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

is my baby getting enough?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 12 Replies
Ok ..i don't wanna sound stupid or anything i know about counting diapers to make sure the baby is getting enough..but my daughter is three Weeks old i literally can not set her down for more than five minutes she wants to be nursed constantly from about 11a until 6p ..then will sleep till nine and want to nurse on and off from 930 until 1a then will sleep 3 to 4 hours wake up nurse again sleep a couple hours and one more time until about eleven..my problem is she seems frustrated during nursing through out the day and between 930 & 1 her diaper count has went down to about 7 or 8 wet 1 poopy ..i gave more milk at night as far as i can tell is this normal? Is she fussy because she is hungry?..i don't want my baby starving I'm debating supplementing only because i don't no if she is hungry i really don't want to!!
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM
She is getting plenty and she's smack in the middle of the 3 week growth spurt... all is normal and supplementing will not help. What will help is wearing her in a sling or wrap so that she has constant access to the breast and you don't feel tied to the couch. :)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
All 4 of my kids, the 3 week growth spurt was the worst. At the same time moms newborn high is replaced w torture level sleep deprivation the sleepy newborn turns into a fussy, seemingly insatiable beast. She's doing her job of stimulating your supply. It's grueling
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Mobile Photo

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Supplementing now instead of letting her cluster nurse will lower your supply as your body misses those demand cues. You're doing better than you think! Diapers sound great.
angelchewning
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Yea the 3 week growth spurt SUCKED! keep it up, youre doing it exactly right!!!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Diaper count good? Supply is good. 3 week growth spurt was the worst for us. He couldn't be our down.
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM

The three week growth spurt is hell! It will pass

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Quoting reyen09: Ok ..i don't wanna sound stupid or anything i know about counting diapers to make sure the baby is getting enough..
Yep. And that is ALL that matters.
but my daughter is three Weeks old i literally can not set her down for more than five minutes
Normal. In fact, five minutes at this age is an ETERNITY. You do know you birthed a leech, right? **grin** NORMAL.
she wants to be nursed constantly from about 11a until 6p ..then will sleep till nine
THREE HOURS! You don't know how good you have it. You're making PLENTY.
and want to nurse on and off from 930 until 1a then will sleep 3 to 4 hours
Dear God. I'd have KILLED for my son to do that. He was latched EVERY MINUTE from two weeks to seven weeks. No supply issues, he just was high needs.
wake up nurse again sleep a couple hours and one more time until about eleven..my problem is she seems frustrated during nursing through out the day
Yeah, she's three weeks.Normal for the age.
and between 930 & 1 her diaper count has went down to about 7 or 8 wet 1 poopy ..i gave more milk at night as far as i can tell is this normal? Is she fussy because she is hungry?..i don't want my baby starving I'm debating supplementing only because i don't no if she is hungry i really don't want to!!

You're perfect. Her job is to be a thorn in your side and utterly unpleasant so you don't go getting pregnant again with another nuisance right away. **grin**

I'd be worried if I DIDN'T see all you report. 

No need to supplement. Nothing wrong here.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM
All of this!!!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting reyen09: Ok ..i don't wanna sound stupid or anything i know about counting diapers to make sure the baby is getting enough..
Yep. And that is ALL that matters.
but my daughter is three Weeks old i literally can not set her down for more than five minutes
Normal. In fact, five minutes at this age is an ETERNITY. You do know you birthed a leech, right? **grin** NORMAL.
she wants to be nursed constantly from about 11a until 6p ..then will sleep till nine
THREE HOURS! You don't know how good you have it. You're making PLENTY.
and want to nurse on and off from 930 until 1a then will sleep 3 to 4 hours
Dear God. I'd have KILLED for my son to do that. He was latched EVERY MINUTE from two weeks to seven weeks. No supply issues, he just was high needs.
wake up nurse again sleep a couple hours and one more time until about eleven..my problem is she seems frustrated during nursing through out the day
Yeah, she's three weeks.Normal for the age.
and between 930 & 1 her diaper count has went down to about 7 or 8 wet 1 poopy ..i gave more milk at night as far as i can tell is this normal? Is she fussy because she is hungry?..i don't want my baby starving I'm debating supplementing only because i don't no if she is hungry i really don't want to!!

You're perfect. Her job is to be a thorn in your side and utterly unpleasant so you don't go getting pregnant again with another nuisance right away. **grin**

I'd be worried if I DIDN'T see all you report. 

No need to supplement. Nothing wrong here.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM

sounds normal :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)