Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pediatrician pushing to stop breastfeeding by one year.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM
  • 33 Replies
My 6 month old had his wellness check up yesterday afternoon, and his pediatrician seemed to be pushing to me to be completely don't breastfeeding by one year. He also told me that I need to stop co sleeping with my 6 month old because quite frankly...'an alive baby is much more fun than a dead one...'

:/
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM
5 moms liked this
New pediatrician. One who doesn't stick his nose where it doesn't belong.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM
I agree

Quoting justone_jen: New pediatrician. One who doesn't stick his nose where it doesn't belong.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
It really frustrates me when pediatricians offer their opinions on topics that parents haven't asked for help with. If you're following safe cosleeping practices and bedsharing as a parenting choice and to facilitate breastfeeding, studies support its safety. In fact, "crib death" was originally called that for a reason. The "dead baby" angle is inaccurate because the babies who died in an adult bed are almost always from an impaired parent rollover or a sibling crush.

And there is an abundance of research to support a million benefits of breastfeeding past a year for both baby and mom. Again, considering pediatricians do not study breastfeeding in medical school, their "opinions" shouldn't be offered as if it was actual sound medical advice.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM
I agree, too. If a car mechanic or veterinarian started sputtering wild opinions you'd find a new one. This would be a difficult relationship with this pediatrician for the next 18 years.

Quoting jjchick75: I agree

Quoting justone_jen: New pediatrician. One who doesn't stick his nose where it doesn't belong.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM
4 moms liked this

WOW obviously never heard of safe cosleeping!

Weaning is up to mother and child NOT up to a doctor, it benefits them to nurse longer than a year so why stop.  At day 366 your child doesnt grow hooves and become a cow

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM
I would find a new dr. My ped encourages nursing until 2 or more. She never said anything about us co sleeping.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Ha! Good to know. Mine turns 366 days in a few weeks & I don't need any surprises!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Weaning is up to mother and child NOT up to a doctor, it benefits them to nurse longer than a year so why stop.  At day 366 your child doesnt grow hooves and become a cow

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my god. I would have walked out and reported his ignorant ass.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If he does become a cow totally call the press!!

Quoting KarenM42: Ha! Good to know. Mine turns 366 days in a few weeks & I don't need any surprises!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Jan. 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Get a new pediatrician because obviously he isn't educated on benefits of extended breastfeeding or that bed sharing is loads safer when done correctly than crib sleeping. There are thousands of crib SIDS deaths per year vs. the tens of SIDS co-sleeping deaths per year. As long as you practice safer co-sleeping, baby is much better off with you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)